Saturday, December 13, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like...

I am taking a short break from decorating the house for the holidays. Yes, I have defied the Grinch and done this before Dec 24th. He has resigned himself to the thought that there will be a tree "when the girls get here" as has been the usual routine for a few years now. I am sure the neighbours are still in shock as they have been viewing a decorated outdoor tree on the veranda of the 'old house' which looks very nice since Nov 20th as the present occupant apparently is Grinchless. In previous years, a decorated inside tree would have been early on Dec 20th.

My main cause for celebration here (and the reason for decorating clean surfaces) has been that the cleaning lady visited yesterday - yeehaw - this is an early Christmas present for me. When even the man of the house notices and comments...she's great. Life is good.

I saw a cute holiday activity (which could be either in person or writing) of asking questions and as I come from a family of askers here's a sample:

"If snow could fall in any flavor, what flavor would you choose?

So my plans for the day include finishing decorating, completing those cards which I'm going to sacrifice trees for and emailing the remainder, a dog walk, perhaps some baking and maybe even a few moments of scrapping. On a craft site I came across a term which would work for whatever craft supplies you accumulate whether it be fabric, paper, yarn, buttons.... Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy. Isn't that a great label? I am happily guilty on a number of fronts.

I spent my lunch hour at work yesterday (highlight of my day but I refuse to talk about traumatic events such as not being retired on the weekend) researching options for post holiday Southern Caribbean cruise speaking possibilities. The two finalists in the running are a 10 day Celebrity Constellation cruise out of Fort Lauderdale the last two weeks of February or a 12 day Explorer of the Seas, Royal Caribbean out of New Jersey the first two weeks of February (you spend the first and last 30 hrs in winter and the rest in the tropics but the port calls are basically the same. Pros and cons for both (as in anything) of course - less Air Miles to Newark, more days at sea thus more presentations / could spend time in Florida before, thus more cost / I've cruised on Explorer of the Seas before in 2006 but not Celebrity. Sounds like Curious George eh? Fortunately I could cruise out of Neward, unfortunately it would be cold :)

In the course of my research I found a great travel blog where the author reviews the different kinds of air miles etc. He also travels rather exotically as well as to New York City so I plan to have a deeper look:

http://thoughtsfrommylife.com/category-Travel

Off to make like an elf. Perhaps I will post a photo of my efforts. Later.