Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Staff Nurse

Well tomorrow I will describe myself as a staff nurse, working for the nursing department and woohoo am I ever looking forward to that after today's final running of the gauntlet. The insanity started before I made it in the door and continued as I exited with the boxes of stuff from my former worklife. I did my best to tie up the last minute details and pack up the office but it was a losing battle. When the memo went out (at 2 p.m.) from management to say that I was no longer going to be in my position - nothing like leaving the notification until I'm walking out the door - there were a few drop ins and phone calls from co-workers who had been ambushed by the news and wanted details and explanation. This was not helpful as I ran towards the finish line. The most positive event in my day was that the garage found the leak in my tire (must've run over a nail or a hook) and plugged it, then brought it back to the parking lot for me - can't ask for any better service than that can you?

As I said goodbye to the final summer neighbour who is heading stateside tomorrow I have to acknowledge that winter is coming. Sigh. I was explaining to her that I would doing the H1N1 immunizations for work WHEN I was working my regular shifts not on my days off in between, bad enough to have to multitask but at least not extra days, so decided to clarify that for you. Wishing safe travels tomorrow for her.

The son's 22nd birthday was celebrated today (glad I wasn't having labour induced today actually) and he enjoyed the flying monkey I (again) purchased in Portland for him. Loyal blog readers may recall that I'd left the bag somewhere on my way back to the ship last year so had to repurchase. He was most impressed with his red neck wallet which is made entirely out of duck tape (camo and plain) and is marketed as waterproof and the boxer shorts with lobsters. His western sister had left him a t-shirt which tickled his funny bone as well as covered his back. He was a happy camper when he left the house at 8 p.m. saying he'd be back shortly..... haven't seen him since.

Well, must go get my uniform ready for the morning - haven't said that for a while - and hit the hay.