Sunday, February 7, 2010

Transitioning to Days

The last two night shifts have been manageable and in fact the final one was downright pleasant - not often the way staying up overnight for pay is described. Managed to check out Twitter a bit, get my crocheting back on track (one of the hazards of doing it at night are mistakes which become glaringly obvious in the daytime and necessitate ripping out large sections) and catch up on all the news.

After a sleep until early afternoon the shore captain and I headed up to Yarmouth to do some final Cuba shopping. It was necessary that he drive (as I was sleep deprived) but he had his warnings about male shopping behavior (he has a severe case - meaning he spends 15 minutes maximum looking for things he wants and the is ready to leave) and staying focused as his adult ADD kicks in when he is forced to participate in shopping especially with me carrying a list! We started at Frenchy's and true to form he looked for t-shirts for 15 minutes then began wandering aimlessly with a pained looked on his face (think constipated and you're not far off) coming back frequently to stand beside me and issue a long sigh. This (as it would have with whining children) gave him the gift of firm instructions to sit in the car if he couldn't wait any better than that. He quickly moved away to the book bin and allowed me space to dig for 'sports clothes' for my Cuban nurse friend's daughters. Found a good selection and scored a duffel bag as well. We moved along to WalMart after that for sneakers, fishing gear, and discount bins and although we are still lacking a few things on the list the charter luggage weight restrictions will likely settle that problem for us.

The weather was a bit slushy and as we backed of the parking space I snuggled down into my winter jacket in my sleep deprived haze when......bang! I flew up out of my seat yelling "what did you hit?" and the shore captain who is looking surprised says "that big blue truck" pointing to an older model 4 wheel drive (the kind you would expect to NOT carry insurance) which was exiting the parking lot by now. He maintains he looked and it wasn't there and came out of nowhere. Hmm. I looked pointedly at my chauffeur so he did grudgingly get out and have a look at the rear of the car pronouncing "no damage". Now I shall decide that for myself in the daylight tomorrow as it was dark when we made it home. I instructed that if he wanted to drive his own vehicles like that it was his choice but I am doing my best to keep mine on the road. It was a quiet ride home.

Tomorrow evening has been booked as 'packing night' which is always stressful. Meaning the shore captain thinks it is and I know it is! Into the countdown now. Hasta.