Friday, December 7, 2012

I'm Ancient School

Kicking back with an herbal tea - yeah cuz I'm just that kind of party gal on a Friday night! It's been a full - read great - week so I'm into a little downtime this evening.

Monday was spent on errands. I did make the mistake of asking at the plant if there was anything I could do on my my way for them so got to do the banking deposits. I didn't return the personal humidifier as when I got to the store with it the clerk simply opened it and handed it back to me. Kind of like taking your kids to the Dr and they're fine when you get there. You're really pleased things worked out but....makes you look like a dummy. At any rate I cheerfully popped it back in the bag and have it in the 'to be packed' cupboard now. I did manage to pick up more craft supplies while there of course. I printed my photos for my scrapbook project (details later) and stopped at the Salvation Army thrift shop as well. Busy little elf. Home in time for yoga class - which was much easier on this old body this time around - and then out for a dog walk.



Tuesday I discovered the shore captain had left his cell phone home (when it rang and someone was looking to buy lobsters) so this meant that I made another trek to the plant to deliver the cell. The extremely high landings and weak markets have resulted in a large inventory of crustaceans being held. Each one of those crates floating in those tanks holds at least 100 pounds of lobsters. Hopefully those critters will start moving for the holiday market soon. If the numbers of transport trucks we passed / met on the way to and from the city was any indication some are finding their way to plates.

Wednesday was the day of departure on our girls road trip but first I had to make (for the third day in a row if you're keeping track) a trip to the plant. This time to pick up the lobsters for the teacher daughter in the city as her father forgot to bring them home (I'm shocked - not). We were very efficient in our travels and managed to tick lots of items off our to-do list. I picked up a silicone loaf pan (packs well) at Canadian Tire and another pair of Max Heat socks at Marks Work Wearhouse which will keep my tootsies toasty in Taloyoak. I ordered a new snorkelling mask with prescription lenses, then we submitted our passport renewal applications. We headed over to Pipa for a Brazilian/Portugese supper and met up with son and daughter-in-law for my travel partner and daughter for moi and had supper and caught up on the news until it was time to walk the half a block to Neptune. Us four ladies very much enjoyed the musical ELF (it wasn't really like the movie but great in its own way) from very good balcony seats. We caught the ferry, then bus to pick up the car and home to bed.

Thursday we headed over to our long time buddy's place and visited and scrapbooked the day away. She was the hostess with the mostest and we all shared our toys well. I got about half of my northern album put together so was quite proud of myself. Her husband was home with a nasty case of shingles although he was managing a lot better than the man in this house would've with that (or many other) afflictions. We left with promises to make this crafting get together a more regular plan. We had an uneventful trip back - which is a good thing to report - and my friend readied herself to return to work today. Always good to get away.

This morning I was up to get myself together before the cleaning lady arrived on this sunny calm day. She was bright eyed and bushy tailed and sporting a squeegee and jug of vinegar stating she was going to tackle the outside windows after she whipped the interior into shape. I am thrilled that she cleans for me but I get exhausted just talking to her. I had thought of hiding in the spare bedroom and eating chocolates while she cleaned (how decadent) but I don't have any chocolate so I walked the dog and sang loudly to my iPod shuffle, then ambled over to the neighbours to loan her a book I'd promised, stopped on the return to take a construction photo and email it to the summer neighbour and by then it was safe to return home as the whirlwind was attacking the outside of the windows.

Not sure whether I was shamed into it or just caught the bug but after lunch I cleaned out and organized the freezer. I baked a banana bread (had to try out the new silicone loaf pan - it passed muster) and made corn bread (am thinking this'll work well for my northern carbs) from an online recipe - here it is:

Homesteader Cornbread

"This recipe comes from my mother-in-law in Canada. It's the most moist corn bread that I have ever tasted. It's great with chili con carne or as stuffing for your holiday turkey." — 

Ingredients
Original recipe makes 1 - 9x13 inch pan

  • 1 1/2 cups cornmeal 

  • 2 1/2 cups milk (soured with 1 tbsp lemon juice)

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 

  • 2/3 cup white sugar 

  • 2 eggs 

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil 

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 15 minutes. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth - beat at least 5 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

It turned out really well (nice and moist) and even the life partner pronounced it yummy. I froze half to see if it will manage that well as that's part of the requirements for me.

Was online chatting with the nursing student daughter who had written an exam today (Acute - not too painful she said, if you get the pun) and was writing "Families with Multiple Challenges" tomorrow - to which I replied "that would describe us". She concurred and allowed that it just required writing with certainty about any topic. I told her that since she's always been a very definite girl she should do well. And since she's had a nurses sense of humour since her early years I'm including this borrowed pic on the left in her honour. She's looking forward to working some shifts at the local nursing home over the holidays - hasn't been there for a few years so will be some catching up.  She's heading down the home stretch now of the studies so the May 29th grad is the shining light at the end.
From the same site, my particular favourite is this one on the right  which is more appropriate for the longer in the tooth type and actually kind of makes me proud. Hard to believe that it is all that many years ago since I graduated as it really feels like months not decades on many levels, mind you I do keep reinventing myself with alarming regularity.

Soon time to get ready for the western daughter's arrival as she'll be home for two weeks over the holidays - hasn't been home for Christmas for a few years. She's been working hard and is on her 16th day of 24 without a day off as I post this - think she'll be tired? She's heading back for eight weeks of classes for her next electrical apprentice level when she returns so at least will be out of those frigid temperatures out there.

Off to make a lunch for the man of the house - gotta keep those old fellas fed to keep them going. Might hit up the local Christmas Fair tomorrow to put me in the spirit. Now the house is clean I should get the decorations up.