Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ee

A day off today to putter, connect with family and friends and bake. Ahh, life is good. I had a call from a buddy first thing this morning and we exchanged news from north of 60 and the balmy southwest. There is apparently a snowstorm forecast for the next two days at home. More winter this season there than for the past few years. I did a video chat known as Google Hangout with my summer neighbour from her sister's place in Vermont - she's hoping (weather permitting) to head up to see the sunroom that has been added to her summer home. And then I managed a skype date with the oldest daughter and her two beautiful fur babies - they are so cute - she showed me Mikey eating and you would think he was a leopard with the high speed chomping and mowing down. Must be because he was a foundling and has food security issues. He and his roommate Squeakers have sure landed in the right spot for love and attention. I had arranged (or thought I had) to have the life partner phone me (as him managing skype is highly unlikely) today - you know my day off - but received an email asking what time tomorrow (I'm first on call) he should phone? About right as in the almost 40 years I've worked shifts he has yet to figure out what my schedule is. He will have to take his chances with as busy as the call shifts have been. 

Sunset at 2:30 pm today
Taloyoak Terrorist
I decided that today was the day to head out for some fresh air and at -51 c with the wind chill, it could be described as brass monkey weather not just fresh. There was a bit of new snow as well as the original white stuff blowing around. I was sure glad to have my Canada Goose Expedition parka and all the remaining arctic survival gear on. I decided today was the day to break out the insulated bandana face mask which made me look as if I was on some sort of Jihad mission. I got my room mate to take my photo as I got geared up. It is amazing to be struggling up the hill, hunched over with these layers on, and meet a local female with a child in her amauti striding out across the snow with no face covering. I will be glad when the kamiks (mukluks) I have commissioned are finished - I had to draw my foot on a piece of paper, measure my ankle to knee and calf circumference and give my shoe size. They are going to be sealskin legs with black leather bottoms. Can't wait as I haven't had a pair since Labrador. Can only wear them north as it's too slushy at home for them.

Hardware/skidoo section at COOP
And just to prove that I did make it over to the grocery store I'm including a photo of the hardware section which is to the left of the produce. Speaking of which I bought broccoli today and the clerk asked me what it was as she was attempting to find the price. I think she didn't find the correct veggie as I was only charged $3.95 for the broccoli but I'm not telling. I did two nursing consultations in the aisles as I'm starting to be known here now as a nurse from the heath centre so felt really as if I were in Sobey's at home being asked health questions by the neighbours. 

Great news from the baby daughter yesterday who had done a job interview and was told by Battlefords Union Hospital in North Battleford, Saskatchewan that she had a full time position on the medical unit which she could start right after graduation. So I am posting this quote in her honour. I feel as if the last baby bird has climbed up on the edge of the nest and is getting ready for flight. She's been pretty independent for a while but is launching her new career. It's ironic that I recall this same area advertising for nurses 37 years ago when I was graduating from nursing school. It was a typewritten, photocopied posting but the very same location - no online posting or google map to help then - here check it out:


With my travels back and forth through Edmonton, I'll now be able to visit my two western daughters at once about six times per year. My advice to the soon to be graduate is.....

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic. ~Author Unknown

Writing the term google map made me smile as my coworker asked me a question on Friday afternoon which I couldn't answer and I suggested she search online as in "google it" and then we concluded it would be quicker and more accurate to ask the boss so I told her to "google Nellie". She returned shortly with the answer stating "Nellie is sure a great search engine" which we thought was a funny inside joke to us. 

Speaking of health care, I found a great article in NEJM on the Cuban healthcare system which is for the most part accurate. I thought of our Cuban trip next month today during the white out walk. Enjoy:


So this afternoon when I returned from my shopping expedition and got serious with the food preparation as I made chili and corn bread for supper then cranberry scones for dessert. Now it's an early bedtime as I was up during the night and looking at another 24 hour call tomorrow. Should you wish a bit of a language lesson I can tell you that yes in Inuktitut is pronounced simply ee as in bee.