Sunday, June 2, 2013

Well that felt like a week....oh wait, it was

All my bags are packed and I'm ready to go.....I'm leaving on a jet plane - tomorrow at noon that is. But there's no taxi waiting and blowing the horn as the shore captain is driving me to the airport in the morning. I've told the usual little fib that is required to get anywhere on time with him (moving the departure time ahead at least half an hour) and have all the last minute details I can think of taken care of. I'll be in Edmonton shortly before the electrician daughter is home from work in just enough time to get some grocery shopping done before we meet up and head out to Japanese Village - yum. Then in the morning it's off for Yellowknife and on to Taloyoak via Kugluktuk and Cambridge Bay so I should be in by sometime in the afternoon. Arrival times are always approximate in northern travel. 

It's been (as expected) a busy visit. We traveled to Fredericton on Tuesday and enjoyed ourselves immensely as we celebrated the big life event of the baby daughter. Out for supper at Naru, which was a great sushi/tempura place and awarding of much appreciated gifts from family and friends. A short night at the Fredericton Inn, family breakfast and off to the graduation. It was a beautiful sunny day and the grad processional was lovely. A very swish University of New Brunswick graduation ceremony with lots of pomp and latin and suddenly she was walking across the stage - my baby. How did this happen? I was just holding her in my arms as a newborn last year it felt like. As she said afterward "I liked it that you cried" and I replied "I've cried a few times over you, but tears of joy are good!" Felt like my Mom, a grad of 1938, was there in spirit and I wore her grad pin on my sweater just to reinforce that. Some photo ops with the proud parents and her boyfriend on the beautiful grounds and a pub lunch before the movers arrived at their apartment to pack up their life and move it to North Battleford, Saskatchewan. Ahh, we remember those days and the excitement, nervousness and 'just can't wait to get this started' feelings associated with it. A retracing of the road trip with (futile) stops at two WalMarts to see if I could locate a scrub top for one of the staff in Taloyoak and we were home. 

The new grad remained in New Brunswick to study for the RN exams being written on Wednesday and has been saying goodbye to her friends as the days go by. Her cat Pous Pous has remained here awaiting pickup after the exam. We have had some territorial issues as in "oh yeah, you want to play with those cat toys? those are mine buddy! I'll fix you - there I sprayed the basket - no ones going to play with those now!" Such are the situations involving a household with two male cats where a third is introduced. Very difficult without DNA testing to know who the offender is and perhaps it is all three of them. What can you do but throw out the basket, disinfect all solid surfaces and wash the soft ones?

Thursday was a catch up, last minute packing and organizing day. Friday I spent the morning getting groceries and hiding from the cleaning lady so she could get her work done. Stopped to visit a friend who has has pneumonia and has really lost a lot of weight - wish I could give her some of my excess to build her back up again. Friday and Saturday were sunny and warm ( 25 - 30c temps) as if it were August so I enjoyed some rays on the deck. Ahh, got to get the vitamin D in when you can.

Saturday was the local town wide yard sale and I got myself into town as things were getting set up. Managed to score a new retractable (and very sturdy) dog leash, a pair of YakTraxs (grippers for my boots) which were my size, some lovely bakeware and dishes as well as visiting with lots of folks I hadn't seen for a while. A quick stop at Frenchy's to check out the deals, Sobeys for cleaning supplies requested by the cleaning lady and then sourcing some beverages for the festivities planned for the evening. Potato salad, biscuits and cinnabon cake put together when I got home and the shore captain steamed lobsters - a simple but well received menu. Had a great evening with good friends and conversation - what more could you ask for as you pack eh?

Today was a foggy, cool day and lots of time to catch up on the last minute tasks and some downtime before the travel day. Next stop Taloyoak - will be in touch.