Sunday, December 29, 2013

As 2014 Approaches

The end of the year is time for wrapping up the loose ends. Time to take down the tree and put away the Christmas decorations, pack for work and…..update this blog. And since I'm an expert at
Noooo, don't go and leave me
procrastination (as evidenced by the infrequent postings) I am blogging so as to not have to dig out the ornament boxes just yet. Gary will be very depressed when that lovely piece of outside has been returned to it's point of origin. And I must agree that I enjoy sitting in the glow of the lights reading - reminds me of quiet times, especially those years with little ones when I would get up to feed the baby and we'd both enjoy the peace and quiet. The dog isn't too pleased with those duffle bags coming out either. I am 'perhaps' going to be able to manage with only duffle - this being the outcome of storing a LOT of my stuff in Taloyoak. I have plans to do my non perishable grocery shopping here and schlep it across Canada as my action packer is home anyway and might as well travel full. This will cut down the shopping/packing time in Edmonton and allow for more pleasurable pursuits. I will be the courier for things left here and fresh seafood which will only have to be transported to the prairies so room for last minute gear reshuffling. The main problem is the arctic wear which takes up a lot of room and won't be needed until……the arctic. Well, if western temperatures are still frigid - perhaps not. 

I received my e-ticket just before the holidays and the chosen early leave on January 2nd (to allow for more on the ground time in Edmonton) will likely mean an all-nighter the night before, what with the drive to the airport, leaving the car with a nursing school classmate to keep (yes I opted for snow tires even though I'm storing it - still have to get to and fro), a short cab ride to the airport and then the checkin process. The job is great but I'm glad I only do the commute six times per year. I'm pumped as I found a pair of sport earphones on sale which should stay in my ears while I plane sleep - this prevents the ear phone plug falling out and me being awakened by the wails of an unhappy infant. When I received my CSA (contract service agreement) to sign I had forgotten that we'd received a raise in October so was pleasantly surprised with my hourly wage. With the tight profit margins and struggles of moving a luxury product such as lobsters in a shaky economy, the shore captain was impressed too. I've downloaded some e-books and found four best sellers which have been on my 'to read list' for a total of $20, a great buy although one which I'll not likely take advantage of until the Mexican beach in March. I did read And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (author of Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns) in two evenings - found it as good as Kite Runner. It was a loaner from one of my summer neighbours and it felt slightly strange to hold a hardcover book in my hands again.

Red neck tree
Tuxedo and bowtie
We had a wonderful (if quieter than last year) Christmas. The boy and his lady friend were over for Christmas supper and we skyped the western girls then. The lad created a red neck Christmas tree for their place from a wire lobster trap (seen here on the left - isn't he crafty?) which is sturdier than a tree with their rescued American bulldog. He saved a starfish and dried it for the top of his buoy (each has a unique design) which it is mounted on. On Boxing Day we had the daughter and son-in-law from the city in for lunch and another Skype date with the western girlies. Everyone was pleased with the infinity scarves I had created and the bow tie I crocheted for Gary (seen here on the right) was a hit as well. We had lovely gifts (for the most part consumable - great and almost completely consumed already) and very thoughtfully selected/created. I 'may' share my Ironworks raspberry liqueur or…….not. Had a David's Tea cracker which came with a Earl Grey Cream, a teabag to brew it in, a riddle and a crown to wear - cute! The baby daughter made a tree ornament using her university grad photo and it hangs next to the grade primary one she created in PLT Elementary - priceless. The fourth daughter (as I have taken to calling the boy's partner) and her mother made a lovely ribbon wreath for my door which were popular this year. The shore captain received a quart bottle of Wisers Deluxe whiskey (worth $63 when I searched it online through NSLC) from the man he rescued - apparently that was what he felt his life was worth, which was a thoughtful thankful. All in all, very well done. 

The weather has been snowy, cold, windy and icy (good practice for next week) and now mild. I have been attempting to get out with the dog as much as possible before I leave. She will be regularly walked by very competent and loving local ladies but I will be making cold, hunched over dashes to the store, not relaxing walks until the end of February so will miss that. As I had passed a house up the road where there is occasionally an aggressive rottweiller (not for some time as the idiot grandson who owns it has been banned from it being at the house as VON visit his grandfather) I realized the barking was coming from the creature sitting on the edge of the driveway. Ah yes, no VON visiting likely over the holidays. Now, since my bodyguard friend (who chases this dog without a brain and huge jaws back up into the yard) wasn't with me, I stewed about what to do as I had to walk past on my return. Just before I approached the house I shortened the dog's leash and crossed the road - I am an animal lover but I do admit to wishing for a passing vehicle to solve my attack dog problems. Since our senior dog is deaf now she just blithely trots along, oblivious to the aggressive barks and only reacts when rushed or bitten. So, of course as I passed the driveway this creature launches itself at full speed down the drive and across the road at us barking, snarling, growling, teeth snapping and frothing at the mouth. I grabbed my dog and screamed prompting the owner to call out "Josie come back here" which she reluctantly did as I dragged our canine down the highway. "Andy, so help me!" I promised/threatened the petty criminal putting his 4wheeler on the trailer in the yard. Why would you want to keep such a creature I ask myself?

So, enough putting it off, time to climb the ladder and start dismantling the tree. Gary has already begun with a few of the bells which he is quite fond of. If I don't put away the festive decor….it will still be here looking at me the end of February when I return, reminding me of the Christmas decorations in seniors' places in July when I used to visit doing home care. Have been invited to supper this evening at our German chef's place and our buddy has offered to be our designated driver so we will sample some of our Christmas gift wine. 

The next post will most likely be from north of 69 degrees when I'm settled in - fingers crossed for good connections. If there have only been two nurses in over the holidays, I shall be a welcome sight. The northern nurse casuals are heading back in to contracts over the next little while as most of us have been (through good planning) home for Christmas - a luxury not afforded nurses any other way. One of my former co-workers advised she was doing a contract in Tuktoyaktuk, NWT which I was surprised to find was connected by winter aka ice road to Inuvik - only semi-isolated then :) 

What is your 2014 New Years resolution? Mine is to study Spanish every day. With the upcoming schedule it may be only a few minutes but every day is the plan. Gotta get myself together is I'm going to do a short mission in Honduras in April. What is yours?