Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sealskin Pulpit and Plastic Flowers

Just finished a brunch of bacon and banana pancakes. Yum. The reward for being only second call today. Paid my dues yesterday with a steady day of calls from sick babies to adults (lots of respiratory viruses on the go this past few weeks) dental abscess, laryngitis, to someone who thought there was a glass splinter in the thumb. If there is anything harder to find/remove I can't think of it. I froze it and probed around unsuccessfully. I suggested a poultice - is that Inuit folklore? Nope, apparently tying a lemming skin on to draw out infection/foreign bodies was though. I was fresh out of those so instructed to soak in epsom salts and it would hopefully work its way out. Couldn't have been too much of a problem with a score of three arctic char fished this weekend. The calls continued throughout the night - not surprising as I had to close the window to the sounds of kids playing at 1:30 a.m. - is benadryl still good from April? "Um, yes but why are you asking?" and "Is this the RCMP?" to the accompaniment of crying children in the background. "No, this is the nurse, you have to call 111 - are you ok?" reply of "Yes, I just need the police" to "my baby is hot and crying" which translated to otitis media and no tylenol when they arrived. Up at 9 am. to unplug the health centre phone as my colleague is now answering. Only five more first calls until I'm homeward bound. I smiled when my co-worker mentioned her countdown, I'm not the only one who does that. Mind you, I've gotten into larger difficulties while being the second call this past week. 

It's been a busy spell here at work in what is usually a bit quieter time of the year. We had a fatality last week where an elder out on the sea ice on his snow machine making his way to the cabin, hit a ridge and was thrown off the skidoo, then run over with the qamatik (sled) which was carrying his 10 yr. old grandson. He was killed instantly apparently. Extreme living in its essence. A large grieving gathering arrived at the health centre as the RCMP went out to meet the local men who had wrapped the body in caribou hides and brought him back to the community. The grieving lasted well into the morning hours and there was little to
Water on the ice
do but support the assembled. I have asked myself before (having lived north decades ago) and recently again 'what kind of place is it that 10 year olds witness such shocking deaths? go caribou or seal hunting and 'catch' (local term for shoot) their first one at age 6 yrs? care for younger siblings and keep them safe? yet wander around during a funeral or go play outside?' I attended the funeral on Friday afternoon as I was the nurse not on call. The Roman Catholic church was full and the MH worker and myself leaned against the wall.
Ready for hunting
The white painted wooden casket was placed in front of the sealskin pulpit and during the service which was conducted completely in Inuktitut (except for one English reading) people made trips to place plastic flowers on the top. It was a long service (over an hour and twenty minutes) of readings, prayers, hymns and eulogies (all in Inuktitut) from family and friends - tears as the accident was described and the grandson was given a token from his Grandpa's jacket pocket, for being so brave. There were large numbers of children wandering, talking, playing, yelling and restless during the service - much as at any northern gathering - I have attended rock concerts which weren't as rowdy. 


Interior of King Air
I also had a 2.5 hrs of sleep night while we awaited a medevac one evening. They left from Yellowknife, flight crew timed out, they flew to Cambridge Bay and exchanged for a new crew and I picked them up at 1:30 am. One of the pilots was an ex- RCMP pilot who knew the pilots I
Early am landing
did from our late 70s posting in Labrador. He had asked to come in from the airport to see the health centre and community as he'd visited Spence Bay last in 1979 just before the present health centre was built. Finally got them underway and back to the King Air and off by 4 am and put away the SUV. Took a bit to get settled down from the adrenalin rush. And just to confirm that I have never had any interest in flight nursing but looking inside the workspace of the King Air confirms it. Seen here above on the right and remember this is going to include a stretcher, a flight nurse and flight paramedic and a parent plus equipment and luggage. 

Pete
Just waiting to have a FaceTime chat with the life partner who I am sure has had some calls from his girls on this Fathers Day. The youngest is spending the day at the Toronto Zoo as she is in the city visiting friends and celebrating her quarter of century birthday tomorrow. Can't imagine that it was 25 years ago that we welcomed her to the family. The middle daughter is likely busy with the new addition to her household as I was tickled to see photos of the new yellow lab puppy - Pete - who has come to live with the daughter and son-in-law this weekend. He has grown so much in just a few weeks…..The oldest will have been in touch as she tends to be the one able to read the calendar and make contact on the day of celebration - not that her sisters don't wish happy birthdays etc. but their timing can be a tad off - daughter #1  must have her fathers math skills and her mothers memory. 

So in the spirit of summer planning / projects I offer the following links:



And to close on a positive note, I am posting a cute online link which reminds me of those media stories where someone breaks into a liquor store or grow up and is found there in the morning by the police: