Sunday, March 15, 2015

New northern home

A wonderful 'day off' in my new home in the high arctic and so time to post. Enjoyed a (for the most part) relatively smooth commute to work and am all settled in. 

The final last minute details of domestic chores, final weighing and packing of the duffle bags and action packers took up Monday and Tuesday. I did have a nice visit with a previous co-worker as I psyched myself up to pick up my perishables.I grieved to leave a wonderful cauliflower and the key lime greek yogurt when the scales warned me the tote pan was over the 70 lb. limit. However, I refused to part with the cherry tomatoes and carefully transported them in my knapsack the thousands of km door to door - leaving them was non negotiable. It was a cooperative cannery operation as the shore captain and I steamed and cracked lobsters for the cooler bag. Finally, a few hours of restless naps before it was time to leave for the airport, falling asleep just before the 2 a.m. alarm sounded. The drive to my nursing school classmates who stores my car was uneventful as the roads were dry and I arrived in time to grab a cup of tea and bagel at the local Tim Hortons before heading over to her place to meet the taxi. 

The cabbie was late, he finally phoned to say that with the tall snow banks he couldn't locate see the house numbers and I stood at the edge of the road to direct him. Not the usual driver, this must've been someone's grandfather. He edged up the driveway, complained about the amount of luggage, managed to lock the door when putting the action packers in the back seat, fussed with the arrangement while I loaded the rest of my bags and finally we were underway. He crept onto the main highway and drove 60 - 70 km/hr so we were passed on the inside and outside lanes. I sent a text to my classmate to let her know there were lobsters on the passenger seat floor (storage payment) and in my flustered state apparently sent a text to landline voicemail message instead of to her her cell (I later learned this had woken her up and she thought 'car what car?' and went promptly back to sleep. We eventually arrived at the airport, the cab driver parked at the wrong door, I finally sourced a cart and struggled with baggage placement. I reluctantly included a tip and sped over to print baggage tags about 20 min. later than I'd planned. I dropped the duffels onto the belt - overweight the clerk said and I replied "do you know how many times my husband stood on the scales with those bags" She gave me a pass and I headed over to the excess baggage scan then backtracked to join the security screening line. I was very disconcerted to find it extended (for those who are familiar with the Stanfield Halifax International Airport) back past Clearwater Lobsters. Lots of folks in shorts and flip flops heading to warmer climes. Finally the 'WestJet Edmonton flight' passengers were rescued by a TSA staffer who directed us into the rapid line. Never would've made the flight if not. Have been told a Nexus card allows you to the front of the line - at $50 for 5 yrs and the ability to keep your shoes on at USA scanning and liquids in your knapsack it is worth investigating. 

An uneventful direct Halifax to Edmonton flight where I enjoyed a three hour nap - good thing as with the 140 knot headwinds we were were 35 minutes late getting in. I was met in arrivals by a former co-worker who was returning from a (conjugal visit I tease her) in Fox Creek with her husband who works there. She kept me company as I retrieved my baggage and we even found a very cooperative male traveler (much more patient than the two men we've been mixed up with for decades) to take our photo. Was great to see a familiar face - who would've thought 30 yrs when we were working shifts that we'd be having such adventures? She headed off to departures to catch the flight east and I phoned for the hotel shuttle. The familiar driver said "oh it's you" with a smile and wrestled my bags onto the shuttle. I checked in and specified three times that the two action packers were to go to the cooler - this enables me to have them brought out on a cart in the morning and (usually) speeds up the departure. I settled in to check out my perishables - things were still cold but the whole lobsters I'd brought for a friend had punctured the box of tomato sauce and I'm sure the maid thought there was some kind of massacre in the room when she cleaned the towels up the following day. Thank goodness for duct tape as I was not about to ditch the remainder of the sauce. A nap and then a Cuban friend and his girlfriend dropped by for a drink and visit while they retrieved the lobsters. I grabbed some supper after they left and had an early bedtime. 

Was awake just before the 5 a.m. alarm so I was either rested or excited. Packed up the perishables and headed down at 0530 for the booked shuttle. It took over 20 min. for the clerk to find and access my action packers - multiple trips to find keys, calls to the security guard, back for a cart and finally when she appeared with the totes she said "they were in the freezer not the cooler". Great, just great. "Is that okay?" What can you say to this? No! Fruits and veggies are not fond of being frozen that is why I asked for them to go in the fridge? Did she expect I'd say I'd leave them then? In the meantime, the shuttle had come and gone. When the 6 am shuttle arrived it quickly filled with the usual tradesmen and I told the driver (my friend of yesterday) I would just take a cab. He efficiently stacked all my bags and found me a seat - boy he works hard for his $5 tip that's for sure. Check in at Canadian North for flight #444 was painless in comparison - I have now established a system for prioritizing two of my four bags (perishables and must haves) with my name in cursive writing on one tote and printing on the other and a blue and brown luggage tag on my respective duffle bags. Through security and to the gate. The usual trot out on the tarmac to the plane - very mild in Alberta this year. Nice breakfast and a short nap and we were landing in Yellowknife. Snowing, -30c and windy. I decided not to get off - familiar to me as this is the usual flight I take, then transfer to Kitikmeot - I felt a tug in my chest as I watched a line of passengers being led to a such a flight heading east to my old stomping ground. Up and off -  a warm
Warm scone - yum
herb and cheese scone (well fed on those northern runs) on the 1 hr. and 15 min. flight. A quick station stop in Norman Wells where I deplaned to check it out. A very pretty spot with snow capped mountains and lots of trees. My seat mate was heading out to Tulita on the winter road from there. Back on the plane and a delay as they wrestled with the portable power supply to start he plane but we're finally off for the 50 min. flight to Inuvik. I am surprised to find there are 
still lots of trees in Inuvik as it's further north than Kugluktuk where there are none, but the tree line is apparently not straight. Hadn't considered there were trees this far north. Hmmm

Fairly good sized airport and terminal in Inuvik. I locate the Aklak Air desk and clarify that I retrieve my luggage and push the cart full  over to them. After the calculator stops whirring the clerk says "wow" when she looks at the total and I pull out my Amex for the $742 the four bags will cost me - good thing I am being reimbursed. A large guy sporting a salt and pepper crew cut and neatly trimmed beard, wearing a Carhartt shirt and worn jeans wandered by and asked "are we going to be alright on the weight with all that luggage?" which turned out to be more than a rhetorical question. My baggage disappeared through a
Aklak Air
hole in the wall on the conveyor belt and I made a BR stop. An announcement was made for Aklak Air boarding at Gate 2 and I asked the clerk to point that out. I followed several people out through the door, past the Canadian North flight departing loudly, behind a parked service cube van and across the tarmac to a small plane. We climbed up steep steps into the Beechcraft 1900 and five Inuit ladies and myself arranged ourselves in the first seats as the rear was full of pop according to our host who turned out to be…..the pilot! He proceeded to do a safety briefing - how to open the now closed door, where the fire extinguishers are located, ear plugs in the seat pocket and about an hour to Sachs Harbour. Then he and another smaller guy in worn coveralls and a crocheted hat with ear flaps
Landing in Sachs Hbr
reading PETE across the front climbed into the two seats in front of the windshield, pulled BOSE headsets on and started a preflight checklist as the engines came to life. I was still working on the guy who doesn't look anything like a pilot is the pilot as I settled in, while he buckled in the elder sitting in front of me. No facilities and the lady next to me with the orange juice obviously had more idea of the (non) services on board. Very smooth take off and we were soon flying at a cruising altitude which allowed us to see the trees receding, ice covered NW
Sachs Harbour, NWT
Passage, then cliffs and my first glance of Sachs Harbour perched on the edge of the water. I have decided that I really like a door to the cockpit so that I don't have to hear all the alarms and whistles sounding. A very smooth landing and taxi to the tiny terminal and I was collecting my stuff, dressing for -34c and climbing down the steep steps and across the icy runway. Into the waiting area and a big hug with my job share partner. We covered a few hand off items, schedule changes and local news "what have you gotten me in to Bee?" "trust me, you'll love it" and then she was off across the snow covered gravel airstrip and home to her family. 


A short but entertaining ride to the health centre in the COOP truck and I was deposited with my mound of luggage in the waiting room to introduce myself to my new boss. The Nurse in Charge is an RCMP wife (her husband is in charge of the detachment and they have been here two and a half years). I would guess she's the age of my kids and has been very good to me (I'm invited over for supper on Sunday). She gave me a quick tour of the health centre,
8 wks of supplies
we chatted a bit and she mentioned that Sachs Harbour has cell service - made my day - whoohoo I began the dragging my stuff up the stairs and settling in routine. I was pleased there were no further perishable punctures and everything appeared to be intact. I spent the evening getting the cupboards and fridge filled, made a lobster sandwich for supper, put away supplies, made up the bed and fell into it and sound asleep.


Down in the morning to begin work and at 8:30 the boss unlocked the front door. Guess there's no morning report here. Likely as there's nothing to discuss since she was on call and I didn't hear the phone ring since 5 pm last night. We count narcotics, tour the emergency room, discuss some processes and I start reviewing various bits of information. GNWT is more organized than GN and there are various things to sign, applications for various training and new ways of doing things - none of them bad. We record five patient encounters which cover two visits (foot dressing and a viral sore throat) and three phone calls for the entire day. I will have time to get myself organized with the orientation during work hours for sure. I agree to take call as long as I can ask for help from the NIC and she readily agrees. I
Fast paced call
decide to visit the COOP for milk, eggs etc and so we leave a note on the door saying 'nurse at the coop' with the same phone recording and take the new health centre SUV with cracked windshield to do a short tour of the community - doesn't take long to see the small collection of houses. Andrea points out one of the two elders places we do home visits (friendly vs care delivery).  The prices at the COOP aren't as bad as I'd thought but the selection is limited. I pick up milk and eggs but there is no butter. The clearance items sport expiry dates in the 2011 - 2014 era so I pass. I drop the boss off at her place and (after two attempts) get the vehicle parked and plugged in by the steps. Yes there is a garage but apparently someone somewhere in NWT left a vehicle running in an attached garage and there was a carbon monoxide poisoning incident so now we all have to suffer. I remove the note and recording and drag my stuff up the stairs to make some supper. A couple of hours later the health centre phone rings and I rush to answer it. A local male voice asks if I'm Bernice so I explain that I'm her alter ego who just arrived yesterday. He tells me there is a red light flashing on the health centre, he has tried to reach Terrance the DPW employee responsible for the building but no answer and things will freeze up so he'll come over and fix the garage door. What do I need to do? "Just open the side door, I'll be there in five minutes" he explains. I look out the window to find an amber light flashing and await his arrival. Shortly a snow machine purrs up the back lane to the garage and a stocky middle aged Inuit man alights and heads towards the door. A wail issues from the skidoo and I notice a perhaps six year old in a pink snowsuit with a face completely obscured in a dark vader mask and goggles dismounting. I invite the child inside but the wails increase and she refuses. Her grandfather makes the executive decision to deal with the situation as quickly as possible and disappears with his shovel in to the garage where he clears the snow from the bottom of the door so it will close and shows me some pumps that will freeze if the door remains open. He then banks snow outside and disappears with his sidekick. I notice the light has stopped flashing when I check a few minutes later. Glad someone is looking after me. I learned tonight this kind rescuer is the recently retired DPW employee who used to be responsible for the health centre - old habits die hard apparently. 


The rest of my evening is spent chatting online with my departed job share partner who has made it as far as Edmonton, reading and changing my WestJet ticket (for only $65) to a day later on my return trip home in May so I can spend an extra day with the electrician daughter who will be attending her final apprenticeship course. She tells me that her Serbian coworkers have suggested we eat Serbian food in Edmonton "like Ukrainian but better" is how they describe it - it's a plan. I head to bed about 11 pm after I see nine teenagers walking home past the health centre - that is the excitement of the evening. I awake at 8 am to discover that I have been paid to sleep the entire night - unheard of for most communities on Friday evenings. I make myself scrambled eggs and lobster with toast and a pot of tea for breakfast . I put the note on the door that Andrea is on call, press the button for her answering machine message and settle in on the couch. Covered with the down filled throw, Didn't move much from this spot except for snacks, it's been a blowing snow -46c wind chill day outside so good to snuggle in. Had a nice chat with the daughter heading to Cuba (jealous) next week ahhh. Went down to sewing class at 7 pm (which really means they don't open the
Sealskin for slippesr
doors until about 7:10 on northern time :) in the recreation centre to learn how to make my own crafts. Decided on a pair of slippers and cut out the bottoms, blue dyed sealskin tops, duffle lining and black beaver trim. The north is a small place and people knew folks in other communities I'd worked in. The ladies insisted on driving me home citing safety issues as wolves wander in town - I didn't argue with them but climbed in the van. It has been windy today and the snow has drifted in large banks across the road and would've been in my face on the incline anyway.


Drinking some Lipton mango peach white tea and I don't even care if the cute little triangular bag isn't compostable. Yes it is that delicious. Shortly off to bed as I plan to set the alarm for call tomorrow. I do believe that this spot is very suited to an old gal and I shall enjoy my time here to the max.