Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hungerlust and more

Yesterday I was on the road and listening, as per usual, to CBC radio when an intriguing piece came on Q. Here is the link:


I was thinking that the writers, artists and creators had a dream job as the 'curator' was explaining it. He couldn't divulge 'those who he reported to or would be summarily fired' which gave me a flashback to Charlie's Angels. Sounded like a fun gig. 

I met up with my two oldest daughter's in Lunenburg and we had lunch at The Salt Shaker Deli. The food was as good as I remembered while we had a great catch up. It was especially good to see the oldest one (recent red seal electrician I might brag) as she had a bit of an adventure on her way to the airport out west and totalled her vehicle. Very lucky lady, with only minor injuries, although the hassles with 'the stuff' which can all be replaced, will live on when she returns. In the meantime the planning for a vintage wedding is in the works - think Patsy Cline, Elvis,  and doilies, the house has been craft centre central. I spent a recent afternoon adding a six layer crinoline to the tea length bridal gown - haven't lost my seamstress touch. After our lunch, the maid of honour and bridesmaid were running errands for the bride aka baby sister, as she and the future groom moved their furniture into the apartment they've located in the city. She will begin work on neurology at the QEII this month. 

We are into the final days of wedding preparations here as Saturday is the BIG day. The weather forecast is for warm and sunny, which is a good thing for an outdoor wedding. Will have a full house this weekend when the bridal party arrives in the morning, decorating the reception venue tomorrow afternoon, rehearsal and then BBQ tomorrow night. The father of the bride has not been very helpful, choosing to continue his routine as per usual. You know those photos which circulate online entitled "you had ONE job" featuring the handle inside of a cup, or mispainted highway lines? Well, mister is in the running for that honour. We are having a lunch/gift opening here at the house on Sunday afternoon where I have decided to serve chicken and lobster sandwiches as those are the reception meal choices and so should suit. I purchased and roasted the chicken last night and himself was to bring the lobsters today to be cooked and shelled this evening before the cleaning lady is here tomorrow - so guests don't feel as if they're being entertained in a lobster cannery. And….can you guess? He didn't. I do not feel even a teeny bit sorry for him having to cook them on the BBQ and shell them outdoors at some point over the weekend as he brought the entire scenario upon himself. 

The armchair traveller in me enjoys looking at travel websites, even if the destination is not on my bucket list (and there aren't too many places that fit that criteria) there is still something to learn. You've heard of wanderlust? Well, I found an article on hungerlust which is... food tours. Now THAT shows possibilities. Especially in a number of European venues. Mind you, a local writer did an article in Saltscapes about houseboats on the St. John River which sound like they'd be fun:


So many vacations, so little time….

Have been doing some online shopping - made some canvas photos for the walls of the northern apartment. The Canada Post rural route driver who now realizes I am home, has taken to dropping off the large parcels which don't fit in the bin of the community mailbox. "Been shopping again?" he says with a grin at the front door. I also ordered some backpacks from Mountain Equipment Coop which the oldest daughter will transport to Cuba for a friend's daughters. While I was shopping I noticed a sports bra marked down from $50 to $35. It wasn't clear which colour was on sale so I ordered a blue one, which (after checkout) came up as $50. I called the customer help line and a young man  helped me with the celery/key lime item - which, it turns out is bright yellow. Even my helper had to admit that green was the colour which came to mind. For $15 I did not care what colour the thing was I assured him. 

I have started another online course from FutureLearn, this one called Africa: Sustainable Development for All. It is very interesting material, an eclectic global group of students and as usual free. The following table is an example of some of the information:


Due to bandwidth issues I have not been doing courses in the north as they are very video heavy. Eastlink, our local internet provider here, has announced that at the beginning of next month they will be allowing 15 GB of data and charging in excess of that meaning we will not be able to watch Netflix etc. This after they used millions of provincial tax dollars to set up the rural broadband network just a few years ago.  I composed a snippy letter to the editor as the Minister of Business said the Liberal government was aware of the situation and business decisions have to be made - reminded me of a "let them eat cake" kind of message written by someone with fibreop. The premier called the situation "ridiculous" today in the paper, so is clearly he is slightly more politically aware. Regardless I have hustled and downloaded my list of movies for northern watching this fall before the end of the month. And I've been watching TED talks and YouTubes + + as well, like this:


Subject of a story I wrote
A childhood friend (who is a great writer) and myself enjoyed a writing workshop recently at the Tatamagouche Centre with Deborah Carr (she wrote the biography of Mary
Lounge in the lodge
Majka a naturalist in NB and a wonderful read). The setting is glorious and it is a very relaxing way to spend the weekend. I thought I'd try my hand at some of the wonderful nature writing exercises we practiced, so from this week…..

This morning I experienced one of those never before, not likely to be repeated seconds long glimpses into perfection. As I straightened the vintage quilt (commissioned for my hope chest) on the bed, I heard a squawk and glanced out the bedroom window at the flawlessly still, reflective surface of the sheltered harbour we overlook. Two great blue herons gliding closely above the calm water surface with their  Icarus like wing tips spread just metres apart, led by long yellow bills, outstretched necks with head bump, elliptical smoky blue bodies and gangly knotted kite tail legs trailing behind reflected completely in the saltwater mirror. Three seconds of sheer beauty was my allowance as they disappeared behind the row of salt sprayed knobby spruce guarding the cobble shore. Ah, just a bit more….please. Stunning. 

Will have to apply those techniques to some northern writing in the fall. Had a quick message from my job share partner as she was enroute to Rankin Inlet - she does a contract somewhere else in between our job share rotations. Made me appreciate being off for the summer even more, if that's possible. 

And….just because we all just need to take a deep breath sometimes and have a good chuckle….toddler quotes:


The next post will be notification of wedding survival…...