Sunday, March 6, 2016

No hot water = cranky old nurse

For any healthcare workers reading this post I'm going to open with "must've been something in the air this week" and you'll know exactly what I'm going to describe. Not as serious as "full moon" or someone carelessly using the Q word but….silly season. There was so much ridiculous going on Friday morning that I phoned my job share partner (who is moon lighting on a home care gig in the other territory) and said "get on the plane, I'm not giving two weeks notice, I am out of here" and for a moment she took me seriously. When I described the shenanigans she agreed that it was tempting for me. Apparently there had been lots of 'sarsaparilla' shipped in on the flight Thursday night and the repercussions were ongoing. The verbal abuse from repeated inebriated phone calls that morning had tipped the scales. She agreed that today was not a great day but suggested I should sleep on my decision, I got the answers to a couple of end of month reporting bureaucracy questions and we signed off. You know you're struggling when…The clerk made an apple crisp for Fibre Friday (which is how we're presenting the Cancer Prevention information - high fibre low fat foods) and headed over to the COOP with it. If they won't come to you, then we deliver. It took a bit of persuading as folks were sceptical of the ingredients and their effects….but free food is free food and so it was consumed. 

Not sure if any of you have watched the animated movie Home which I saw last week, but it is a cute story of space creatures who come to earth. The main BOOV voice is Sheldon on Big Bang Theory as well as Rhianna, Jennifer Lopez and Steve Martin. There was an email from the territorial Minister of Health (he doesn't usually invade my inbox) to all of us in health centres across NWT admonishing us to check for inappropriate stickers seen here on the right. There was an accompanying media story of a sticker handed out by a Dr in NB (who clearly hadn't looked at it) to an aboriginal child. Needless to say, the chief of the reserve was quite unimpressed. I was relieved to find we had nothing of the kind and sort of puzzled as to who thought these were a good idea. I don't remember the quote from the movie….

And speaking of ridiculous….last week as I was readying to head upstairs (after negotiating the leaving of cotton balls for a dog's ear treatment in the front entryway but that's another story) at 5 pm, my coworker appeared leading someone (not from the community) who introduced himself as a Census Canada employee. I had a great deal of trouble following the conversation and it wasn't due to his mild French Canadian accent, it was because he was wearing a crocheted horses head hat complete with mane!!! The theme from The Godfather was playing so loudly in my head that I couldn't concentrate. When we finally established that I would be at home in May and likely no one at my house would deal with census forms without my urging, reassured I would not be counted twice, he took his leave. Not sure why my colleague let him in after we locked the door but she seemed as gobsmacked as me with him. Apparently there is no dress code for census workers. 

We (described as my coworker, myself and the DPW maintenance dude) have been struggling with the hot water boiler. Three days of the last week there have been cold showers in the morning. Yes, I realize that large portions of the developing world would be grateful for running water, even cold but….this is Canada, no matter how far north, and it sure makes this old nurse cranky to start her day out that way! Apparently this is an ongoing issue but I made it clear to the hapless DPW employee that ongoing was coming to an end as my patience was wearing thin. He looked suitably worried so hopefully that will result in a solution. Clearly end of year DPW budget cautions were not on my list of concerns. 

I finished up a Future Learn course I was doing on Strategies for Healthy Aging. Overall it was quite good, not a lot of new information but interesting, and some of the participant comments were funny. Someone in the group posted a nice article on emotional retirement planning (vs financial) which I insert for your reading pleasure here:


There was an amusing story in one of the videos about 'crystallized intelligence' which apparently us older folks have in abundance. Described as putting together information gathered from various sources to solve a puzzle even though you've not been in this exact situation. The anecdote was from a researcher who said his in-laws arrived in Washington for a visit as a blizzard raged, emerging from the train station the roads were terrible so they couldn't find a taxi. The father in law decided they would cross the street to the take out pizza shop with delivery, ordered a pizza to their daughter/son in law's address and convinced the driver to take them along. I loved it! One of my resolutions is to write more, thus attempting to get my act together with this post. 

Since today was a -41c day I spent it inside on the sofa crocheting and watching a movie…Mud, any opportunity to see Matthew McConaughey with his shirt off is a good movie and Reese Witherspoon is always fun. I also watched a video on mindfulness (living in the present moment) where the lecturer (who unpretentiously described himself as a card carrying human being) advised the audience to "check your watch, it's now again". The intent was to remind us not to rush from one thing to another thinking the future will be better as now is the future of a few moments ago. Ahhhh if only. Both screenings were better than viewing folks tropical photos on FaceBook. 

I shuffled the few steps over to the school one afternoon muttering to myself into the fur of my parka "never lose an opportunity to immunize". Usually vaccines require an ice pack to ensure maintenance of the cold chain (2-8 c) but in this case I put the medication in my inner jacket pocket so it wouldn't freeze with the wind chill. Adaptation to the conditions. 

Mind you, Nova Scotia received a dumping of snow today with gusty winds, so a bit of winter left there. The shore captain headed over with some like minded businessmen to the Seafood Show in Boston who this year opted for a direct charter flight out of Yarmouth. Travel is usually longer than their stay as it takes three days return when you factor in the winter roads, ferry and two nights hotels enroute with only two days at the expo. Those travelling on regular flights out of Halifax were delayed, routed through Montreal and not arriving until late tonight. Just think I'm missing out on all that schmoozing and industry talk. 

One of the positives of this week was to be offered the bread pans from the coworkers apartment. She had attempted to bake brownies in them which (as might be expected) didn't work out well. The red river cereal bread turned out wonderfully, but I sure missed the Kitchen Aide mixer when kneading - haven't done that for a while. As well I found a recipe for molasses cookies which were just like my mother used to make….ahh a taste from my past. Made a large batch and I took them to sewing class and gifted the departing RCMP family with them. Baking is therapy but sharing the results is a better idea without a roommate to consume them.