Saturday, August 6, 2016

The journey continues

For those following along with my journey from the 'other side of the healthcare system' let me reassure you that I am managing well. A few bumps in the road as I navigate the trail but….moving forward. And although as I fondly watch the photos of my alternate (northern) life posted online, I realize that my fight is here at the moment. 

I travelled to the city last week for what was to be my first chemo treatment and…it wasn't. We made our way down the afternoon before so the shore captain could assist with some renos of the teacher daughter's garage and broke up the travelling. A childhood friend and her hubby who live in the neighbourhood strolled over in the heat and humidity to visit as the construction was underway below, and we visited on the deck under the shade of the grape arbour. Nice to have a few minutes to catch up. As they departed, I phoned a former travel mate who was hosting an American classmate from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine course visiting before heading back to Bangladesh, as we had arranged to go to supper. The plans changed to the hostess' hubby having made supper so they arrived to take me across the city and then we stopped on the return trip for cheesecake at The Sweet Hereafter. Highly recommend it if in Halifax - the key lime cheesecake and a cup of tea was a wonderful ending to the visit. Fell into bed late, stuffed and relaxed. An early leave for a Dr. appointment and the usual prodding and poking, discussing of plans and news that my chemo drugs had been changed to a regime with the same response rate and less side effects. Unfortunately the requirement is for 24 hours of steroids pre-treatment, which I obviously hadn't had so….a return the following Friday. 

No, not Tuesday, when I was booked for the routine CT scan to check my post op complications healing as I couldn't be fitted into the schedule, so two trips to the city this past week. An early morning start on Tuesday, quick test and over to meet the teacher daughter and her sister (she had been retrieved from her flight home from Cuba on Sunday). A stop at Canadian Tire to pick up an above ground pool, some yarn at Walmart and on the road. Returned home to find an excavator and truck in the yard preparing a spot for the pool we'd brought. 

Wednesday was a trip for wig fitting and it wasn't as painful as it sounds. Ignoring the suggestion of my life partner who suggested I could become a redhead and my job share partner who insisted Fredericks of Hollywood (some of you may remember their ads from the backs of childhood comic books) and a big ass Dolly Parton wig….I chose instead the same shade and style as my own. Who knew there was so much to know about wigs? You can't cook while wearing them - they frizzle - I am planning to wear the hair replacement only for outside the home, so no biggie. The intent is to not stand out so as to reduce questions, suggestions and pity from strangers - much like pregnant mothers endure. So, put it on front to back to front (are you listening Donald Trump?) and centre it with the side tabs and finger comb the style in to place. My benefits pay for a basic model (machine made) and so I opted to pay the difference on a mid price range (hand tied) model which is coming from Germany. Supposed to be lighter, cooler and more comfortable. Instructions on how to shampoo, condition and care for the wig followed. I found a cozy (bamboo) cap as well for non hair days and will return next week when the wig arrives for final approval. Since I wasn't sure how emotional the fitting would be, I had contacted some nursing classmates as a pleasant outing to look forward to, and we enjoyed a lovely lunch on the warm, sunny deck of Rudders Brew Pub overlooking the busy harbour. We planned some dates for our 40th anniversary weekend get together in October and the research has begun. Something positive to look forward to in the fall. 

Thursday I had convinced a cleaning lady to come and so escaped to allow her space and walked the beautiful local beach with a former coworker and good friend of many years - very therapeutic. When I returned, the cleaning lady (who had done a lovely job) admitted defeat and claimed she would not be able to do the job weekly. Gotta be a record for the shortest job! The search continues. The shore captain arrived to assemble the pool and was sourcing water. It's very dry this summer so using the well wasn't an option. Mind you, that had been his plan until the local fire department declined their pump and asked if we had 7000 gallons of water in our well. So, mister THEN goes to check and oops we have 'a couple of well rings'. Back to the saltwater plan. 

Friday morning was a quick run to the city for the chemo treatment. A slight delay as we awaited the drug (pharmacy had only known for a week I was booked the experienced nurse said with a knot in her face) and another patient having a serious allergic reaction which caused some hustle so a bit behind but…still only three hours in total. The schedule is Dr. visit (variable wait times of course) and two drugs the first day of the cycle (about 2 hrs) then only one drug the second week (about 45 min if all goes smoothly) thankfully it's the shorter one that stings a bit. Mister had gone to source a pump and had to be summoned as I was finished. A former coworker who knows her way around the chemo unit as her daughter attends came to visit and brought a care package - I am so spoiled. A stop at the drive through and a quick run home to make BBQ for supper. To bed early and awake a couple of hours in the night (? steroid reaction) but able to get eight hours of snoozing in. Sure hope things continue in this pattern as the list of side effects I'm hoping to avoid is lengthy. 

Up this morning to hit the local yard sales and scored some craft supplies, jelly, household finds and a dress while socializing. Ahhh Returned to find the shore captain and one of his minions pondering the pump the saltwater plan at high tide.
salt water fill underway
Kind of a drizzly, windy, cooler than lately kind of day. They managed to fill the pool in two hours but discovered that the sides needed to be rebraced as the gravel pad wasn't completely level so…tomorrow they will drain, brace and refill the unit. But first father and daughter took a celebratory swim…while I watched from dry land. The prenatal daughter is coming this week from the city (she has a list of craft projects for the impending grand baby which she is seeking assistance with) and has been tasked with obtaining pool toys - a ride on shark for the grandson, an air mattress for me and pool noodles for all. Can't wait. Even without a cabana boy in a thong to serve us girly drinks, it will be fun. 

So, a day to catch up on tasks such as clearing out the junk emails, puttering, reading my book and updating the blog. Ahhh. Not sleepy yet but as I woke up the snoring life partner from the 'in front of the ballgame recliner' to go to bed, he said "past my bedtime, not yours" which is of course accurate of this night owl.