Thursday, July 12, 2018

It's Fly Day

Spent the morning doing the laundry, baking two batches of scones - one blueberry for the returning CHN I'll meet at the airport and one cranberry for the NIC who is being left behind. We've had a nice two day visit where we've caught up on all the news, did a calm handover, and eaten ourselves into a food coma several times. Last night we invited the clerk down for supper and had ribs, squash, roasted potatoes, carrots and cheesecake with fruit sauce for dessert. Ahhhh

All packed (except for the frozen snow goose and ice packs which is a gift for the shore captain from our clerk) and ready for the 3 pm check-in at the airport. Managed to cram all my stuff into two bags and will use my knapsack as carry on and call the bag of crocheted crafts a purse. It's 1c and cloudy so still wearing my gloves but have packed my winter jacket finally as the mainland is warmer. An overnight in Inuvik to acclimatize to larger numbers of people where I see a wrap and sweet potato fries at Shivers in my future.

I have plans to attend the Great Northern Arts Festival there which begins tomorrow and then head to the airport for to catch a Canadian North flight to Edmonton - via Norman Wells and Yellowknife - with a few hr wait lounge wait for the West Jet red eye to Halifax. The summering teacher daughter has offered airport pickup and after a short visit we'll head over to pick up my awaiting car which has had the insurance coverage reapplied and a trip down the shore to share the weekend with her and the granddaughter. Should be a good (busy) time so the reason for updating the blog just now...no time later. Catch you all on the flip side.