Saturday, August 31, 2019

Packed...18 lbs in my knapsacks for 6 wks

The end of August and the evenings sure feel like autumn now. I've been surprised to find the occasional fall foliage appearing and I guess it's good to have a preview since we will miss the autumn show this year as we'll be across the pond....hence the post title as I spent the morning packing. Hard writing is good reading? Well, it's harder to pack a backpack than just throw everything in a suitcase, but the reward of no wait at the luggage carousel, no lost bags, no dragging a suitcase from place to place on trains and down cobblestone streets is the pay off. I'm also arranging the next ten weeks of my life as I'm home Friday evening then off early Monday morning for a month in Cuba, so really have to have all the arrangements done for both trips. And yes...lesson learned for ordering a swimsuit from China and water-socks online...you get what you pay for.

Have enjoyed visits with the grandkids this month as I'd picked the oldest grandson up at the airport on the Sunday when he flew back from his Ottawa visit (after a great summer camp) as an unaccompanied minor. Of course the flight was delayed, but that allowed for my stop at Michael's to yarn shop. He was thrilled to be given a can of Pringles, Canada Dry and be spoken of in the flight attendant's announcement as in "you better watch your language as we have an unaccompanied minor on this flight" which I assume was WestJet humour. As the gate clerk delivered him to me he said "he's quite a guy" which I quickly agreed with. The week flew by with swimming lessons, three grandkids inhouse, a Grawmp assisting with house construction for the baby daughter and my absence for three of those days. 

Because...although I'd planned to stay home after my unexpected summer contract I found myself flying again a week ago. Our Cuban son in law is attempting to make his way to Canada to join our oldest daughter and Canadian bureaucracy has been thwarting that plan. With the Canadian Embassy closure in May (supposedly due to workplace illness from noise - only Canadian employees affected? don't get me started) and files moved to Mexico, the latest wrinkle was the request for a new criminal records check as the original had expired to be submitted within 30 days (impossible due to the slow bureaucracy in Cuba and no courier system to Mexico from there). Next was applying for an extension to submit, a trip to Havana for our son in law including a several week wait with relatives as the date for pickup was August 6th. Our daughter was granted vacation and flew down to bring the paper back but....it wasn't ready before she had to return. The search was on for a tourist returning to Canada who could courier the document and there were several kind offers made but after discussion with the life partner it was decided I'd fly down, pick up the paper, return it to the daughter to have translated in Canada (long backup in Cuba for translation) and FedEx to the Canadian Embassy in Mexico. Which is what I did August 20 - 22. 

I booked a ticket for the day after pickup, then I had to ensure the son in law had the document in his hands before leaving for the airport and I was off. Everything went smoothly with the drive, check in and wait until I was called up to the desk (I have frequent flyer status) and was offered $1000 to fly later to Toronto arriving at midnight.....I didn't weep but it was close - no way to make my 9pm Havana flight doing that so the offer was withdrawn, announced and quickly pounced upon. One of these days I'm going to be able to take up an offer like that. Off to Pearson, smooth (if dysfunctional as usual) connection and wait at the gate with Cubans going home to visit and a few European tourists. After a bit of excitement getting away - stairs detached, coolant on the engines, every fire rescue truck in Pearson responded - an uneventful but turbulent flight down and in to Havana about 1:30am to find my waiting son in law. Taxi back to the casa he'd gotten for us and we crashed until 9am. Up for
La Habana Vieja
breakfast, a walk on the malecon and Hop on Hop off tourist bus. Managed to get my dollars exchanged at the bank, see lots of Havana I'd never been to and even make it home for a siesta. Up for supper at a local restaurant - lovely! An early bedtime and up at 5am for the
morning flight. The arranged taxi didn't show at 5:30am but my son in law woke the man of the house and a neighbour with an Americano taxi (58 Chevy) was summoned and arrived within ten minutes. A quick goodbye, off to the airport as we coasted through every red light and deposited safely at the end of a long check in line. When I greeted the flight attendants who had enjoyed a layover I assured them I planned to return to weekly vacations on my trips. I was seated near two Somali passengers (one a Canadian) and was at first hopeful he was a cousin of our Minister of Immigration but sadly no. An uneventful return trip to Pearson, the usual shenanigans to move from international to domestic where I felt moved to apologize to first time visitors, a good lunch and off to Ottawa. Picked up by the first born daughter, a few adult beverages in the sunshine at her place, then we walked to a great Persian
Yummy supper 
restaurant for supper and back. Morning saw me dropped a the airport on her way to work, a quick flight back and the usual drive home - mission accomplished for La Mula. By the next day the translated, certified and couriered document was on its way to Mexico via FedEx and the waiting continues. We had all hoped our son in law would be in Canada by this summer as it was a year ago this month the application was sent in but now (even with the colder weather coming) we'll take anytime he can obtain his visa. Fingers and toes crossed as it's not easy dealing with bureaucracy....especially the Canadian variety! 

 This week saw us having our travel partner (former office manager for the shore captain) over for supper to do some last minute trip planning - decision for the Hop On Hop Off bus tour for London and some scheduling details. Only ten days to go....woohoo.