Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another snowy Sunday

Well Happy Sunday! As I sit in my comfy (from Frenchy's) pjs with a cup of tea in front of the computer as the snow falls outside - life is cozy! Especially so as I neither battled my way to or fro work in the predicted 'flurries' which have materialized into at least 20 cm of snow!

Last evening a friend and I took in Seven Pounds with Will Smith and I have to say if that man doesn't win a armful of awards for his performance there is something seriously wrong. Excellent (if tough subject) movie and highly recommended by moi. We had begun with a proposed party of four to movie go and our numbers were thinned by mandatory overtime (the ordering in of one of our list) for a long night shift and the travel preparations of the other. Since the drive home was a truly challenging one I crept near the center of the road, except when meeting traffic moving just as slowly, then the navigator (riding shotgun) called out the margins of the 103 as I attempted to stay on the pavement. The visibility was about 3 ft, the highway was a base of ice and staying in the ruts of a previous vehicle was a real game. Quite pleased to wade into my house after providing chauffeur service. Ah yes, winter - got to love it - unless you travel in it! The temperatures are warming up to rain so tomorrow's journey to the district facility will hopefully not be as interesting.

Came home from Thursday's trip there to a man home from his meetings and supper on the table - doesn't get much better than that for this working girl. Friday wasa repeat classy meal and...he had also fixed the monitor power cord of the computer system in the man cave (on which I am communicating) and set it all up again. This has been a to-do project since the fall. He had as well stopped at the hardware store and picked up a new mailbox and stick on numbers (not nearly as nice as the lovely decal the kids had done but Canada Post insists no bare boxes) to install in place of the murdered predecessor. I am happy to report the new one has survived one night of plowing at least. As the shore captain states "those drivers are just being jerks about it now and trying to take out boxes, must have a contest on". I remain thrilled, though cautiously concerned as to what else is going on when I see such cooperation. Nontheless he earned himself chocolate chips cookies and brown bread baked in reward this weekend.

I had dropped into select my glasses while on my district trek and was astounded to find that they will cost $580 for the two pair (regular and sunglasses) and yes you have correctly surmised those are the aforementioned bifocals although without scratch coating and polarization - this due to my loss record did not seem a good investment. With the co-pay from my benefits I'm out $122 so that will sustain me in the dark work days as a positive. They will be ready on Monday and retrieved while on mileage to travel there - again memo to self. I was in Superstore while on my district trek, to print off some photos from the Norway trip and after spending at least 20 minutes selecting prints was just inserting the 5th of 5 CDs into the photo system when an error appeared saying to contact the clerk. When I queried the much pierced, bored with a permanent smirk on his face clerk - he gaily confirmed this meant I must remove my CD, he would restart the system and I would need to start over on what I was working on. As I retrieved the CD and fixed him with a direct gaze, I stated as calmly as I could manage "not today I won't" and exited quickly. Anger Management 101 - remove yourself from the stimulus. The meal awaiting was obviously the reward for my passing the class.

I was amused by the cleaning lady's shopping list of required products saying "we need ..." as if I was involved with their use. Well, I guess the purchase includes me in the process.

Yesterday the dog and I went for a long walk and she checked out all the ditches as they're frozen and clean enough to allow for that. We took a walk over to the summer neighbours to check on their places and discovered her tracks of romps of sheer joy when she had escaped and gone visiting a few days ago. Managed to fall in the crushed stone (not recommended) in front of the house on the return and am feeling the effects of right elbow, knee and hip and left ankle. What is this talk of it being healthy to get out and exercise eh?

I'm consoling myself with my library book Hot, Flat and Crowded, by Thomas Friedman which is a look at environmental/political/economic global issues. He writes well but it's a tough read at times as the future implications are a bit scary.

Well, must sign off as the shore captain has returned from unloading fish and has fired up the 4-wheeler to plow. He will likely be seeking sustenance and warm drinks shortly. Hope all are remaining well and warm in these cold times.

To quote the wealthy Warren Buffet "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently." I'm sure those are words he truly understands with today's volatile markets.