Friday, June 5, 2009

Uberloos and more

Well a quiet Friday evening to catch up so as I sip Lady Hannah tea while the shore captain snores I’ll update you on life in the frantic lane. I’ll be making it brief as the library book I requested a long time ago (was 17th on the list when I put a hold on it) has finally arrived and I picked it up after work. It’s called What They Wanted, written by Donna Morrisey so if it’s close to her previous offerings of Kit’s Law, Downhill Chance or Sylvanus Now, I’ll be through it in short order.

I had a nice phone call as I walked in the door tonight from daughter # 2 saying she’d received an A+ on her Didactic Social Studies course (translates to how to teach Social Studies) and an A (only an A) in another. I’ll take those kinds of updates anytime.

Speaking of students, I have been wondering how the baby daughter is doing in her European wandering as there haven’t been any email updates for a few days. Apparently she has been posting on Facebook but…of course on dialup I can’t catch these. Mind you the surveyors were at the tower spot today as (not unexpectedly) there were no public complaints about highspeed tower placement here, but I digress. I’m hoping that she’s checking out the uberloos along the way. And what are uberloos you may ask? Well here’s the link:

www.uberloo.com

They are hands free washrooms in airports, hospitals etc and recognized by the smiley face logo. Speaking of travel I entered a chance for tickets to Australia called a Quantas contest. Now try to say that three times fast eh? Ah, I can dream.

Did you know that we celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary last evening by going to Cuba? Yep, we sat right down and watched a travel documentary on OLN together. This was after mister wished me Happy Anniversary at 9 p.m. as I prompted him by leaving the card out on the table which daughter # 1 had sent. Ah, what a romantic he is.

Just to explain how cool I really am for a 52 year old woman, I’ll share a technology story. I picked up my cell phone this evening to find a text message from the prodigal son which said ‘yes’ so I replied ‘yes what?’ The return message was oops, was texting his oldest sister and sent to the wrong number – he ended with lol. So I typed ‘lol yourself’ the reply came back – Mom do you know what lol means? Apparently my feeble attempt at texting humor sounded as if I was bristling so…I silenced him by typing lol is J Last text I had this evening from him. Lol.

Enjoying small pleasures, I had an impromptu visit on Wednesday at work from a former (now retired and enjoying it to the fullest) colleague and we had a brief chat before I had to rush off to an appointment. I stopped on my way back from my trip to reward myself with a scrapbook store browse and scored some great finds for western, and cruise albums along with nice paper for wedding cards as we’ll have two special ones this year which I’d like to create a card for. Yesterday, I was most impressed to find that I’d won the $25 gift certificate for staff appreciation at work this month. The winner gets to choose what the certificate is for - restaurant etc. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Certainly have to get rested up as there is a Town Wide Yard Sale in the morning and you know that it’s important to get an early start on those sorts of ventures. I have a student apartment to outfit after all.