Thursday, July 2, 2009

A day of gifts

Well tomorrow is Friday and that as Martha Stewart would say 'is a good thing' as this week feels v-e-r-y long.

I've just finished making a couple of batches of muffins for a workplace session tomorrow which will hopefully put some closure to a tough situation of this week. And while I was at it I found strawberries in the fridge which had been forgotten (hard to believe that would happen but when there aren't four kids fighting over the berries and them lasting 30 seconds after they make it into the house it does) so I made sweet biscuits to go with those.

In between the cell phone has been ringing non stop and it appears the shore captain has his plate more than full tomorrow as he has three boats in and unloading beginning at 6 a.m. and another ready to go out. As I heard him leaving a voice mail message for someone I clarified that they were off to a fundamentalist church gathering for the week. So he continues to call and locates an employee of the plant he's purchased and when he gets off the phone, shaking his head mister says "he told me he was waiting to hear from the vet as he took his cat in today and they don't know what's wrong with it" So apparently different priorities than the man who just wants to get the fish out of boats and onto trucks. Mister was muttering that if the errant son (who had laid down on the bed at 7 p.m. after supper and has yet to resurface) had his trawl done then he could've helped etc. etc. as he made his way back to bed for the second time.

And of course the life partner is supposed to be meeting me at 1 p.m. to head to a wedding for a neighbour. Well, this girl is almost family as she babysat all four kids since she was 12 years old, traveled with us on vacations and has kept in touch, even helping daughter # 1 get set up out west. So, I (at least) am going to make see her married at White Point, regardless of work interruptions from WCB brass etc. as I will be leaving at the appointed hour. The plan B is that mister will join ys us in time for the reception at 5 p.m. I always feel bad when we've sent a reply card and a meal has been paid for when this (almost certain) bailout occurs. Of course he is at this point still saying "well I might make it for the wedding itself" Yeah right.

I had a voice mail which made me smile today when the western daughter left a message saying she had made it within five minutes of work when she realized that.....it was Thursday and she didn't start work until 10 a.m. so was two hours early! She headed back and watched TV until it was time to go in. How keen is that eh? There were a number of folks at work referring to Friday and complaining of a short weekend when they were referring to having Tuesday and having Wednesday off for a holiday.

I had all kinds of wonderful gifts today. When I opened the mailbox I found a package of shampoo samples which will be great for travel that I'd requested online and a wonderful scrapbook magazine. It's called Creating Keepsakes and is beautiful. I was thinking it was a sample, or in the wrong mailbox or something I'd requested and then it hit me....this was my Mothers Day gift which daughter # 1 had promised!!!! And to think there'll be one every month. The daughter tells me she has a copy too so we can discuss them. I reminded the gift giver that she and a teen friend used to get out the same magazines and go through them together over the phone about 10 years ago. Back in the day. And then I came in the (beautifully clean) house to find a quart of Vermont maple syrup on my counter from my summer neighbour (we haven't actually connected but have had a phone chat so we're getting closer). I do agree with the suggestions on the side of the jug except for over steamed rice and home fried potatoes.

Well, time to call it in as I haven't even looked at today's paper and a meal break would've been nice. Sigh. I'm reminded of the next on the list cruise partners email to advise that she had been called in and told she would be doing 1/2 of the job of a retiring employee in addition to her own position which is almost unmanageable to begin with. This was to warn that the cruising may be put on hold. Well, what with H1N1 rearing its ugly head, the talk of three flu shots for fall and all the other angst in the workplace that may be the case for the lecturer too. There will be other chances of course and we are both getting closer to retirement every moment.