Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hump Day Vacation

Well, the sun didn't shine (at least here) today and I did take it off as a vacation day but you know that didn't bother me as I thought it would. I got many things accomplished and although none of them were crucial to world peace they sure gave me some peace of mind. And although several of them are domestic chores the method in the madness is that with the long weekend coming up (only two more days but who's counting?) I'll have a headstart on some of the household and be able to play freely. I am proud to say that I only raised the phone to my ear four times, once to make a hair appointment, once to hear my library book I'd reserved was in, and twice to hear the voice of friends so quite a switch from the usual workday. I was truly given a gift as the shore captain had fishing industry meetings first in Dartmouth then Yarmouth so did not arrive home until 9:30 p.m. and the prodigal son is on the high seas so the critters et moi were living the vida loca.

List of completed tasks

1. slept in
2. got my haircut
3. read the paper before noon
4. did four loads of laundry
5. cleaned up from the pig roast
6. read my library book
7. walked the dog
8. ate what and when I wished
9. checked out land and waterfowl

I am supposing this is what a day in the life of a retired person may possibly look like. At the very least it describes a midweek day off of a shift worker. And it includes my not accepting a kind invitation to lunch by one of those shift workers because if you're planning on spending the day as a recluse there's no point in getting social about it, even if the company would've been good.

And speaking of being social, the new buzz word is social distancing which refers to such things as not shaking hands, keeping 1 - 2 metres (depending on which rule you use) away from others, and using good respiratory etiquette which is defined as coughing/sneezing in your sleeve not your hand. Sorry for slipping in to my shop talk. These and other rules are being proposed by universities etc. in preparation for the fall as opposed to some other countries where they have already cancelled classes in universities and daycares or so my Argentine friend tells me.

Too bad that all this H1N1 activity will likely curb my social life as I'll be too busy either running around like chicken little or giving multiple flu shots or both. I have a message from 'my agent' about a cruise for the fall which I will have to open at work tomorrow as the graphics do not allow for dialup, but I'm thinking that fall and vacation are mutually exclusive terms for anyone working in infection control this year.

As I mentioned the animals and I had a great day together even though Keely looked like Egor. Every year she manages to jump on some kind of stinging insect in the grass and ends up with a decidely rakish one-eyed look. She is right on schedule as you can see.

I took a satellite phone call from the boy on the water who was instructed by his father to "call every night at 9 p.m." and considering this is evening two and the initial call came at 10:45 p.m that's about par for the course. Mind you he told me that "last night there was a lot going on with about 14 boats around and a longliner setting gear next to me but I'm settled down now and just remembered" It was good to hear his voice and he assured me that everything was ok on the boat, the crew were working out ok, and they were keeping up in catches with everyone else and would be in as planned on Friday. The call was amazingly clear in the thick fog but as his father would say "it should be at that price!" He was able to relay all kinds of info about the shipping registry as he is always one with the latest news and had used the phone as well for another captain having alternator problems. Why does he always sound so grownup when he's on the water and make me want to kick him up and down the road when he's ashore eh?

Well, off to hit the hay. Two more sleeps and then another day off. Yeah for weekends.