Monday, August 3, 2009

Now THAT was a long weekend

If only I could work a four day week and get paid for five, now that would suit me perfectly. Well, actually not working at all would be closer to perfection, but you have to start somewhere. And having two, four day workweeks are nice. After the long weekend, it’s already Tuesday tomorrow – yeehaw!

On Saturday I was up and off to the farmers market in town where I located fresh strawberries and raspberries, thus the following recipe which I modified from one on allrecipes.com submitted by Jackie Cooper:

Raspberry and Strawberry Buckle

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup nonfat yogurt
1 pint fresh strawberries
1 pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 11x7 inch glass baking dish.

Cream 1/2 cup of the butter or margarine with 1/2 cup of the white sugar until light, beat in the egg. Add the baking powder and the salt. Stir in the 2 cups of flour one cup at a time alternating with the yogurt. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Arrange fruit over top of batter. Sprinkle topping over fruit.

To Make Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, and the cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake is top is puffed and nicely browned. Allow cake to cool. You can serve it directly from the baking dish or for a more attractive presentation, I cut it up into squares and arrange them on a platter

On Sunday when I made it, the shore captain suggested that sliced strawberries on the top would be a nice addition since I had a quart not a pint of those and whipped cream wouldn’t be too bad either. So, the concoction got the ‘make it again’ nod from the family and friends who sampled it.

While running errands on Saturday, I stumbled across a yard sale where I picked up a great pair of New Balance sneakers for $2, a mug from St Lucia for a$1 (so glad I didn’t pay $10 this spring for the same one) and a cribbage board which apparently would only suit those with ADD as it had about ¼ the amount of holes required for a regular game – guess that’s why it was in the yard sale – well, two out of three ain’t bad. And by the time I’d made my way home and through the laundry, summer had arrived. It was so warm we were able to sit out in the sun in front of the house on the water side, imagine.

On Sunday, I stayed up to finish my library book and it is a highly recommended (if lengthy) read – The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. A real page turner. I’m starting Wally Lamb’s latest one – The Hour I First Believed - which is an even lengthier 750 page plus, but if he keeps up to his usual standard will be worth pushing it to get it back without late fees.

Today I had good visits but for bad reasons. First my cruise mate of last fall was welcomed to use the laundry facilities before she heads into two night shifts as her washer is ill and awaiting a transplant. Since we’ve both been held hostage previously by this plumber/appliance repairman, neither of us is holding our breath. It was nice to have a cup of a tea and a chat as we’re usually just passing each other in a doorway somewhere. Getting up to speed on the wedding plans from the mother of the groom is a nice diversion. And a nice yard chat with one of my summer neighbours who has become a temporary halfway house for canines as she dog sits her fur nephews (two Airedales) in addition to her own Standard Poodle due to their owners heading stateside for an unexpected jaunt. We discussed retirement – mine as she is already in that category. To my whining about the healthcare system she mentioned that infection control /occupational health must be an interesting job especially with the H1N1 situation etc. and I thought later to myself ‘so is a tattoo to look at but I don’t plan on getting one as it’s painful and relatively permanent’. The target is still freedom 55, even if it’s not retirement but a step down to something else as the answer to “are we still having fun?” is pretty obvious these days.

Last night was another thunder/lightening and monsoon night which resolved itself to thick fog during the day so…..since I wasn’t going to miss anything by sitting indoors I headed to the Archelaus Smith Museum to do some genealogy research. I make myself a solemn promise that I’m going to get over several times during the summer but it usual results in a single annual visit. I’ve graduated to taking the laptop with Family Treemaker loaded with me and entering the data directly, much more efficient and greater chance of accuracy than transcribing scribbled notes as the program tells me ‘please check as that date would make his mother over 50, or this means she was born after her mother died’ in response to my math dyslexia of reversing numbers. The volunteer told me that she’ll be there until first of October so there is hope of a return visit. Very therapeutic to be sitting in the quiet, funky old museum concentrating on the ancestors. And in addition I spotted a garage sale on my way and scored a set of electric beaters and four plastic tumblers for the soon to be apartment dwelling baby daughter as well as a pan for baking the aforementioned buckle.

Had couple of emails from folks who are loyal blog readers which is always great because although they’re keeping up all the fun there is to have here, I’m in the dark as to their whereabouts.

Nice quiet house as the men folks have been keeping early hours with trawl baiting for the heir apparent to the fishing throne and HRH of the plant himself chasing boats leaving at 5 a.m. So, a trip to the district facility tomorrow for myself and then hump day.