Saturday, August 29, 2009

Saying goodbye

Supper is sitting in the oven, awaiting the arrival of drenched men folk as the boats were all due in today - running ahead of the latest tropical storm “Danny”. I’m off to take my turn working volunteer fire dept. bingo this evening which comes due every seven weeks but certainly seems sooner than that. Another drawback of not working shifts as that excuse is not available to me and my conscience won’t let me fabricate another.

It’s been a wet, dreary day spent thinking of my summer neighbours as we received a message last night that a good friend had passed away peacefully yesterday morning. Difficult when you know that someone has been suffering pain to wish them back but a shock just the same. A larger than life personality we will remember him fondly.

Tried a bit to get myself in gear with the cruise presentations and did put some PEI info together with some pics I ‘borrowed’ off Facebook from a friends vacation but am still recovering from my overland journey of 500 km for work yesterday. To think that was a regular work day just a decade ago. I’m reminded of my workmate’s quote when we were discussing how managers are working until 8 p.m. as he said “yeah, I used to do that too when I was that age”

Thinking of cruises, here is a very comprehensive site which arrived in an email announcement which I have had time to give only a cursory review, but it looks good:

http://allthingscruise.com/

I did put my energies into making a loaf of brown bread, a peach pie (although I ran out of peaches for the top) and getting supper ready. Didn’t want to overdo it what with the volunteer duty and all. Aside from reading the paper – found a great deal on a week Feb 7th in Villa Covarrubias for $838 – and having a chat with daughter # 1 who advises that the countdown to Nova Scotia arrival is 27 days!!!! that was about the extent of my activities. Not bad for a rainy Saturday as I celebrate post # 400 of this blog. Enjoy