Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jennifer Aniston

Well, let’s see…today is Thursday so getting closer to the weekend – even if Hurricane Bill is scheduled to arrive then. Mind you I spent most of Wednesday thinking it WAS Thursday, now it’s even becoming obvious to others at work that I’m losing it. Mind you, they’re all losing it as well if today’s interactions are any indication.

The aforementioned predicted bad weather is creating a hitch in our social plans for this weekend as we’d intended to go to camp. This is the week of full tides so the shore captain had penciled himself off for the weekend on the calendar at the plant (he’s wanted to do that all summer as his employees took time off) but really – how much fun is it travel through the woods in a hurricane? So, instead he’ll unload fish Friday evening and has acquiesced to a dinner date with me on Saturday. I will have some time to myself to get my powerpoint presentations in order as well.

Speaking of travel plans the cruise partner (who has highspeed and the patience to do some research) sent this message:

Hi,
Google Earthed the airport and the Cruise Port. close as you can get I think. 9.7 miles. They had a place to click on for public transit--should have put "forget it" only showed later in the afternoon and had transfers and 5 minute walks and suggested it would take over an hour and a half!. I was able to print the map and directions
.

So glad she’s as independent and focused as last fall’s travelmate, makes it much easier for me to be totally immersed in hateful work and just get ready at the last minute. And it sure sounds like the airport/cruise pier are within striking distance by taxi.

And speaking of presentations reminds me of a bright spot in my work day (not difficult as there were a limited amount of positive events). I had a message from the IT person who is working on developing our new webpage – there’s a section for ‘Meet the OHNs’ and she sent a link for us to check out what she’d done so far. Since I’m the only one NOT on vacation I dutifully looked around and found in the section with our contact info where our photos will go one of Sandra Bullock for the district site OHN and mine was…..wait for it…..Jennifer Aniston. Made my day. I didn’t know the male pic (a hazard of being movie challenged) but he was very attractive.

The most exciting thing which happened to the shore captain this week was that he discovered cell phones don’t like to be dropped into salt fish pickle (the brine which forms when salt fish is being processed) as the chemical reaction fried (yet another) cell. This is how many? I’ve lost count. He should be put on a ‘not allowed to have a cell phone’ list I think. So he repossessed a cell from an employee (who apparently refused to turn it on) and since this is a new number he is very pleased with the reduced number of calls.

Well, time to do a last minute walk through for the cleaning lady arrival in the a.m. and drag these old bones to bed. Yeehaw it IS Friday tomorrow, there were times this week I wasn’t sure it would arrive.