Thursday, December 10, 2009

An early morning hello

Well, the quality of the photo isn't great but you get the idea. When I went to remove the sign from the doors after my sleep day last week I discovered that I had been just as sleepy as I thought I was when coming home from work and crawling into bed. I'm guessing it would've scared anyone off if they found it that way. And I'll likely do the same thing a few hours from now as I'm posting this from work at quarter to five in the morning. It's been a reasonable night which means steady but not unbearable. We had a really quiet start to the shift due to the major storm hitting us and thus no visitors underfoot. The trade off was that we had a wild ride in - good to have company for that sort of thrill. The white stuff has all disappeared with a temperature increase, wind and lots of rain. The lobster boats were all in but the shore captain was waiting for his fishing boat which was due in at 6 p.m. The shore captain was just that - ashore the past two days and that is the way the boy wonder likes it. It was quite a turnaround to hear him worrying about the gear in the water with the bad weather coming. They will have a day on land tomorrow with the forecast.


The holiday preparations have begun and I dug out the boxes of indoor decorations today after the cleaning lady left after giving me a pager for the Medical First Responders. I had just started to put them up when a page almost caused me to do feline CPR and I headed over in the blizzard to try to locate the dispatchers call. It turns out the civic numbers were non existant and the call was for a slip and fall on a fishing boat which hadn't made it to the wharf yet. When I discovered there were enough responders I made my exit pleading I had to get ready for work. So that was the extent of my holiday preparations. I wanted to reassure the girls that 'the bear' is up and being moved (although this is a shot from last week as I had to take the photo and save it to a flashstick and bring it to work as the ancient cast off laptop doesn't recognize it). The cats remembered the holiday doormat and took turns kicking it into humps. If you have a little one in your life here is a cute site to have a personalized video message from Santa sent to them:

http://santa.sympatico.ca

Well actually, it's kind of cute for someone of any age as you can put in the naughty info etc.

Time to get started on the morning work as those in this wonderful resort are beginning to ring for room service. I've been told I'll be orientating to the Emergency Department after the holidays so that is something to look forward to.