Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas Eve

Well as we head officially into Christmas I'd like to wish you all a merry one. Today was the usual frantic at work of getting patients home, back from away facilities to our community site or just sorted out before all those 'day workers' are off until at least Monday and some until after the new year. Not unexpected as over my career I've worked a LOT of Christmas Eves. Went pretty smoothly considering the frantic pace and at 6:30 p.m. a co-worker slumped into the chair next to me and said "we survived today" and that really summed it up. Get to do it all over tomorrow but usually Christmas Day is a lower key affair with only a few family members visiting and everyone is where they're going to be for a few days. The ER usually starts heating up by the afternoon as folks show up after the festivities are considered over.

Here, they are on hold. I came home to find the one child who was to be the 'gift opener by proxy' flaked out in his bed. Convinced him to get up and eat the lobster casserole but he felt pretty punk - not sure what kind of virus he's incubating as he aches all over, has a headache and a temp but he quickly returned to bed. So, we will open gifts tomorrow after I come home from work as he said "Mom, I've got a present for you but it's in my truck and I don't think I can make it that far to get it" so we agreed to postpone the celebrations as I'll feel like having a Christmas nog tomorrow night not having to get up in the morning at 5:30 a.m.

Speaking of those under the weather the baby daughter apparently saw a Dr. out west today and (finally) got an antibiotic thanks to her big sister looking after her. So hopefully they will be able to enjoy the vacation together now. No mention of pants as this was relayed through their father.

Had an email from the middle daughter saying she got her final mark in her BEd (A+) and this sounds like distinction in her degree - yeehaw - on May 8th. She has worked hard and it shows.

So, off to bed to get ready for all that Christmas morning excitement - at work that is!