Sunday, April 11, 2010

Internetless

My first experience with being internetless which means that I am composing this posting to save to a flash drive and upload at work tomorrow. When I gave the required 30 day notice to Bell Canada which came due on April 9th it appears that terminating accounts (with memories of the dialup debacle and subsequent loss of email addresses and messages) must be the only efficiencies they are capable off. On Monday I shall bite the bullet and phone them to find out the final tally. As I requested to be paid out for an extra shift I might be flush enough to swing it this pay. The total damages are likely $600 for three months of substandard internet service which according to Bell is due to being in a low service area. I am still living in hope that Eastlink will be connecting in our area next month. No one can ever accuse me of being anything but an optimist!

It’s been busy at work with coworkers off ill and lots of angst so with my frantic schedule it all finally caught up with me. I slept all day yesterday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m, was conscious for about four hours and crawled back into bed about 8 p.m. The shore captain was surprised /concerned when he discovered me asleep at 8:45 p.m. but he would’ve been more alarmed this morning, had he been here, to find that I didn’t awake until 10 a.m. So after 20 hours of sleep in the past 24 I’m getting myself back up to speed and can contemplate a return to work tomorrow morning. I’ve had a call from a coworker up the road who I’ll pick up on the way so it’ll be nice to have company for the drive. Nice to only have one day shift and then two nights before some days off.

The full schedule did allow for some R&R though as I managed to fit in a trip to Lunenburg to visit with a former work colleague. I made my way down to the Lunenburg Inn www.lunenburginn.com after sleeping until afternoon. The setting and the service are impeccable. My friend had a beautiful room provided with twin beds and the breakfast (French toast, bacon and fresh fruit, warm blueberry bran muffin) was included so what’s not to like? We headed over to The Knot for a great pub supper and then spent the evening getting caught up on the news. When I woke up in the morning saying I’d had a good sleep and asking if I’d snored my hostess did admit I had but mostly (as she lives alone) that she was surprised to hear someone else in her room, let alone snoring during the night. That wouldn’t be a surprise to me! I stopped on the way home for a Frenchy’s shop in Bridgewater and scored all sorts of good finds – enough to fill a large recycling bag – before heading home to wash my stash. The dog was pleased to have someone to walk as the warm spring weather is continuing.

I have plans to head down to the city to make dresses for the flower girls on the next set of days off. The bride- to- be and myself will shop for fabric, then start the dresses to enable a fitting by the flower girls before I head home to finish them up. A pair of M.O.B shoes are on the agenda as well so I’ll be ticking items off my to-do list as well. The June date is fast approaching.
Must study more for my trauma course as the May date is fast approaching as well. At least it’s more interesting than the ACLS I did last fall which was all a variation on a theme. Counting up those education credit points.