Monday, June 14, 2010

Speed of light

Let's see....the last time I posted was Friday and today is Monday. Hmmm, feels like it's been much longer than that. Guess that's what happens when your life moves at light speed. At least my internet connection matches that! Wow, I am really enjoying having entered the 21st century and actually being able to do my online banking etc. All my fears of the shore captain having a meltdown when he saw the contraption on the side of the house were groundless as I made sure not to mention it but as I was leaving the house on Saturday p.m. for work he said "how do I get online, is there anything special you have to do?" So much for him being unobservant eh? He has selective unobservancy as well as selective hearing :)

The two night shifts were just fine and spent in good company. I managed somehow on the first night to fall over in one of the patient's rooms and bent my big toe backwards bruising it really badly and folding back the nail. I hit my elbow, both knees and my ankle when I pitched forward but mostly we were all hysterical as I wasn't seriously hurt and those kinds of situations are really funny at 6 a.m. Of course I had to make out an incident report and thought of everyone reading about the klutz so I suggested that furniture might have caused the problem. The toe settled with ibuprofen after I slept, but it is still purple. Good thing I wasn't planning to wear sandals for my M.O.B. gig.

Today was spent getting the boy wonder aka usher a suit for his sister's wedding. This was not accomplished easily as his father called from the plant just as we were attempting to get underway and requested that he go "cut five or six long poles for skids for the lobster car, put them on the trailer and drive them over" so as you might imagine that caused a great deal of yelling and gnashing of teeth before he did go do it. Of course by the time he returned it was almost noon so after showering we were on the road. We stopped to hit the sale on the waterproof camera I have been ogling for some time and what a beauty it is, small enough to put in your pocket on land and good to three meters under the water, lithium battery etc. We managed to find an acceptable suit in the mall and the clothing store had a 50% off sale so he is completely outfitted now with suit, shirt, tie, socks and belt. I just have to hem them. We stopped for groceries and I found a lovely $6 camera case there too as I told the lady in the store "I've been a good girl so it was a me present". She agreed that those are the best kind.

One of the flower girl's Dad has injured his leg playing hockey and had some orthopedic surgery to repair the damage. He's home from hospital and this means his 7 month pregnant wife will now have him and the 4 year old to manage for the wedding. They won't be doing any dancing from the sounds.

Looking forward to the first of the summer neighbours arriving sometime in the night. Not able to be much of a welcoming committee when I'm running away tomorrow but we will catch up on Friday when I'm not working (notice I didn't call it a day off?) I was discussing all the duties with the labor relations officer when she called about union business and asked about the wedding. I told her my M.O.B.tasks were 'and duties as assigned' which is standard job description language for anything the manager doesn't want to do. She said "that's what happens when you take on those positions that aren't unionized, the next thing is you'll be serving a grievance" Little NSNU humour there.

Well, time to hit the hay as the person I'm traveling with to Annapolis for the 9 a.m. triage course was firm that we must leave her place (30 minutes from here) at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow. This will place us at the latest an hour early. I shall take my (borrowed) book with me. I'm reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley and it is a great read - laugh out loud funny in places even.