Saturday, June 12, 2010

Yippee high speed

A quick update from work but...for the first time in a long time it is not because I lack internet access at home because as of yesterday at 11:45 I have highspeed access courtesy of Eastlink. When the crew arrived there was a bit of discussion, the threat of not being able to install in a concrete house, it being too far to instill it on the utility pole up the driveway and the concern that it do external damage to the siding etc. I did my almost tearful best performance and the crew gave in. So I made an executive decision and the signal was measured and antenna with associated decision were promptly installed on the water side of the house and the router set up. I was able to access Facebook while baking the strawberry/rhubarb pie which I created to divert the attention away from the property damage I'd just authorized. And fortunately I left for work before the life partner/house constructor arrived home to notice. The main thing to remember is that 54 mb per second is an amazing rate of transfer so I have no problem defending my executive decision. I also got the desktop computer set up (after a call to CyberGeek) as well, so all is well.

I had the assistance of Kobo zendesk as well to download a free Martha Stewart cookbook and discovered that e-book readers also allow you to read PDF documents. While I was at it I got assistance to download a copy of Water for Elephants through Kobo and now that I have the processes documented on paper I won't have to bother the very helpful helpdesk.

Well, time to start the morning work so I'm off. Lots of updates to follow as now I have highspeed access.