Friday, August 13, 2010

Retirement four days at a time

I was reminded by the new bride that it's been a while since I updated the blog so time to get to it. Especially as I am headed back to work tomorrow for four shifts. The weather has been glorious so I have been pretending I'm retired each set of days off - the denial works until the alarm goes off tomorrow at 5:20 a.m.

Following the first LD of my set last week I crawled into bed after rubbing peppermint foot cream on my aching tootsies so enough said about those 12 hours. In between my days and nights there was a community BBQ at the local fire hall which was a good chance to get caught up on the local news. Speaking of news, as I was being walked by the dog my summer neighbour called out to tell me that she had a new granddaughter in California - one that she is going out to visit in a few weeks. One of our year round neighbours has taken up photography again (digitally this time) and dropped a lovely photo of our house taken from the end of the point in our mailbox. I wasn't long scrapbooking that into the final page of the house construction album, which is a splendid way to spend a few hours of a day off.

I have been dreaming of a getaway for this winter and trying to decide whether I'd like to get a new agent or try to pitch myself to the cruise lines on my own. Decisions, decisions. Since getting vacation time is often the struggle I'm going to ask for three weeks off in February and then try to fit something in. The three weeks I've requested for October for the western trip and the additional in the winter are not as greedy as they sound because I will still have another week of vacation which I will have to be paid out following that unless there is some real creativity in the recruitment process and quickly.

Last evening the life partner and myself were invited to the summer neighbours for supper and it was wonderful. Lasanga, bread, garden salad, and fruit cobbler ahhh. It was great not having to drive anywhere after enjoying the wine, good company and conversation and just wobble next door.

A nice way to finish up my days off was to spend the final one in a social venture. Headed over to my sister's this afternoon to assist in celebrating her 50th birthday. I made the required visit at the Dollar Store for helium balloons proclaiming Happy 50th birthday and Over the Hill, a Happy Birthday tiara and a fridge magnet to put in her card which said "I'm not 50 I'm 18 with 32 years experience". It was a beautiful warm summer afternoon and the shore captain even managed to fit in a break between activities to drop in (dressed for crawling in the engine room but one cannot be picky) for a visit and a yarn with his brother-in-law and niece's husband. My sisters three childhood friends arrived with a lovely collage they'd created of the four of them and it was just the same as if they were hanging out in our old house on the corner about 40 years ago. Her two daughters with the four grandchildren they have given her were present and I got to meet Grant Charles for the first time. He is a real snuggler and doing really well as he's past his birth weight at two weeks as you can see to the right.

A gorgeous sunset while the dog and I strolled was an excellent after supper activity....except for the mosquitoes. The bush trimmer had been in our area today it seems and riled up the biting insects. Apparently the meteor showers which have been on display the last two nights are expected to continue this evening but as the shore captain said "oh are they starting at 11 p.m. again? well we could set the alarm I guess" as we have yet to be awake when they streak across the sky. He has hit the sack but I am considering starting my library book - which my friend so kindly picked up for me in town - Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay, which has been on my 'to read' list for some time so I may just see a few of them.