Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Strawberry muffins and showers

The weekend was taken up by two rather eventful and busy night shifts which are now behind me and I've earned my days off. The preceptor student brought in a feast of wrap sandwiches from a local spot complete with salads and fruit for her final shift. We did manage to eat and the sandwiches were a good choice as you can eat those with one hand while moving. Sunday I woke after my partial day nap to find it was sunny and warm so nice to get out and make the most of it. We have been having the most beautiful weather here this summer and it's been a few years since we have been, so thoroughly enjoying the gift.

Monday was a carbon copy of sun, gentle breeze and blue skies. Had a phone chat with the western friend we will be visiting in October and glad to provide a diversion to her drywall crack sanding. The other couple updated us that he did so well with his aortic valve replacement / coronary bypass that he was discharged home from hospital in four days. No reason to leave the paradise except to visit one of the summer neighbours next door. The dog and I headed over for a girls visit in the afternoon to check out her new skylight windows and have a little chat in her screened in veranda - which is incidentally a wonderful place to enjoy peach tea while enjoying the view. When the shore captain rumbled down our driveway in the ton truck loaded with grey insulated wharf boxes it was easy to call out that I'd be home for supper shortly but it certainly disorientated the fur daughter to hear his voice from afar. I was very relieved that the only son did return that evening with the catfood and kitty treats as requested because I would have been afraid to close my eyes that night if not.

There wasn't much closing of eyes for the night as it unrolled mind you. Here is the schedule:

Crawled into bed at midnight
Awoken at 10 to 4 by shore captain yelling at son to get up as he'd overslept for going fishing
Listened to the scrambling of the son taking 25 seconds to leave the house
Asked shore captain if he was going to call captain to say crewmember was late?
He declined.
Awoken again at 5 after 4 by captain looking for crewmember
Gave phone to shore captain (did not beat him over the head as I wanted to)
Crawled out on sofa at 4:10 to get some sleep - the insomniac bedmate was restless
Awoken at 5:30 by shore captain getting up to unload fish so crawled back into bed
Awoken at 5:45 by phone as work attempting to convince me I should come in for a LD
Declined due to an appointment and course and fell back to sleep until the 7:30 alarm

So I was up and off for an appointment, stopping at a farm market on the return and returning in time to putter for the afternoon as I paid bills online (yes that is something I can actually do now that I've joined the 21st century high speed internet wise) updated the Kobo e-book reader for the shore captain - and yes if you are wondering I have already ordered one of the new Kindle wi-fi for myself as that seemed like the best use of the bonus the preceptor program provides. I finished the day off by doing the First Responders CPR/AED recertification at the local hall. Much enjoy that to volunteering for bingo. The cleaning lady is an MFR and when I asked her for Friday this week (as I try to coordinate her visits with my work schedule) she agreed and then said "is one of your cats not there? the little black fellow always used to sleep in the basket" So I assured her he was well and a resident of New Brunswick now as last week was her fist visit since his departure.

Today I slept in and awoke to the sound of rain washing the windows, what a great way to spend a day off I thought. After I remembered that the shore captain had likely put Gary out before the deluge and resecued one very large, damp, irate cat off the back doorstep I felt less guilty. The sheets of rain were dumping down so hard the dog didn't bother to peek her nose out of her doghouse. I made strawberry muffins and enjoyed two with a cup of tea and am now contemplating heading out to the local museum to do some genealogy research - don't want to waste a sunny summer day on inside activities and they are only open until the end of the month.