Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Rest of the Story

Last night as I sat blogging, checking email, reading my e-book and waiting for the flight from Calgary to leave for Halifax I was unaware that.....the shore captain had missed his connection from Edmonton. When he didn't arrive to check in, as one of the last to board I asked the West Jet gate attendant if she could locate him and she said "the flight attendants will be able to tell you". The flight attendants had just started in Calgary so didn't know if the Edmonton connection was delayed. However, when I found my seat and realized that I was to sit next to a surfer from BC coming to catch some waves and visit his brother in NS...I realized that he had missed connecting. I was the one with the cell phone and laptop so there was no way of knowing whether he'd missed the flight in Edmonton or that flight had been delayed. Nothing to be done but settle in. Mercifully I did sleep for about four hours of the flight and the eight or so babies under a year of age were very well behaved. When I woke up for the landing and realized I hadn't even had a drink of water I knew I'd had a good snooze. The seat mate said "wow, I can't sleep on a plane but you sure slept well" I explained that working shifts is an excellent training for sleeping on the head of a pin.

Daughter # 2 arrived at the airport to pick me up and phoned to see where I was as she was waiting in arrivals. I explained her father was missing "What do you mean that Dad wasn't with you on the plane? Where are you?" I explained I was having the West Jet customer service rep do a manhunter maneuver and I'd be down shortly. The flight attendant getting off asked if I'd found my husband or would have to get a new one? I assured her that I wouldn't be bothering with a replacement if this one was lost. When mister was finally located as being on a flight from Toronto which would arrive about noon I made plans to hang out in the city and head back to pick up the missing person. I asked the male West Jet employee if he could tell me whether my travel partner missed the flight or it was delayed and he said "oh I can't tell on this system" but something in his look told me otherwise. I said "you men all stick together and you have different faces but you're all alike" which did cause him to grin.

The daughter and son-in-law were on their way to the Farmers Market so I tagged along as I hadn't been to the new Seaport location - excellent - much more room, lots more booths. It was a busy place on the waterfront as there were two large cruise ships in today as well. I picked up some wonderful fresh broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, wholewheat bread and polish sausage as well as some danishes for later. The teacher daughter treated me to a raspberry chocolate croissant and I picked up a mango smoothie - very good therapy for the disgruntled. As the daughter was heading off to tutor she dropped myself and the son-in-law off at the apartment 'for a nap' which we both cooperated well with as it was starting to rain gently when I curled up on the couch and he headed for the bed. I made it up and out to the airport a few moments before the delayed by 10 minutes flight arrived. I was sitting on the floor as there were no seats and the lost soul managed to get by me and was wandering the arrivals area with a concerned face when I found him. I think he was more apprehensive about his chauffeur's state of mind than anything.

His first words were "I can't believe that I didn't make the flight, I only missed it by five minutes, I had to go to the bathroom". I said "you're 54 years old and late for everything you do and you are surprised that you missed a plane?" He had slept on the airport seats for a bit, caught a flight to Toronto at 1 a.m. and then on this morning so that was punishment enough. Apparently West Jet only charged him $50 to change his flight and the customer service rep let him use the phone to call me on the cell - unfortunately he couldn't remember the number so tried unsuccessfully. The rep said "oh, I'll put a note on your file and she'll look for you". Sounds to me like this isn't the first time this has happened I thought to myself. He did admit that he'd had a great supper and visit with daughter #1 and boyfriend in Edmonton so it was worthwhile.

The drive home was uneventful and we were surprised to find the leaves were still intact and very beautiful, especially as they were wet from the showers. We sorted mail, suitcases, plants (including the orchid which I share custody of with my summer neighbour who has headed back)and a few chores while I headed out to take the dog for a walk before I headed down to volunteer at the Fire Dept bingo. I received the best gift I've been given for some time as the cleaning lady stopped to catch up on the news and said "I asked Bert to work for you tonight at bingo as you were just back, I saw the date on your calendar". That kind of thoughtfulness calls for a bonus!

Poor Stanley looked like he had a moderate case of PTSD as he shot under the sofa when we came in. He was finally coaxed out with kitty treats and has allowed us to pick him up and he is now relaxing on the windowsill so seems to be managing the transition well. Guess it was a surprise when we arrived home...he's had a lot of surprises lately.

Time to make some supper. You know you're home from vacation when you have to make your own meals after 17 days on the road.