Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Burning bushes, oat biscuits and Kindle

 Quote of the day: All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on - Henry Ellis.

I finished up my shifts yesterday morning and the final night shift was a doozy by anyone's measurement. Ended up with my coworker spending an hour in the boss's office discussing a previous situation and then some more phone calls when I made it home. Sigh. Did get about three hours of broken sleep.

Had a great chat with the western daughter after I was somewhat awake and got caught up on her news. She has been accepted for her full time business studies beginning in January. No surprise there as she is a good catch as a student. Got a few (non technical) chores done, supper on the table and headed out to scrapbooking which was a great way to spend the evening. I am beginning to conquer the 2008 Maritimes/New England cruise album but there is a ways to go. Speaking of travel here are a few links I found surfing on Twitter:

http://solofriendly.com/stephanie-lee-an-unaverage-girl/


http://landlopers.com/2010/10/31/annoy-flight/


http://twenty-somethingtravel.com/2010/10/stages-living/
 
http://www.kiwicollection.com/wow-travel/industry-insight/the-real-deal-november

Today was spent putzing around this place doing three loads of laundry, making a stew and some great oat biscuits to got with it from the Sobey's Inspired food magazine, here's the link:

http://www.compliments.ca/en/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?ID=11808

Isn't the burning bush getting big?
The courier arrived at noon time with my white Birkenstocks duty shoes and they are great. I wasn't expecting the $46.24 customs bill either but the total is still $20 bucks cheaper than the city and exactly what I wanted. The driver left our backdoor open while I wrote the cheque and electronically signed the invoice and....Mr. Gary streaked out through the opening and into the woods. His belly betrayed him though and after a very brief game of hide and seek he returned for the kitty treats. Managed to take the dog for a walk after that and yes it is getting cooler but still beautiful. My burning bush on the left to prove it.


After the menfolk were fed and disappeared to snoreland this evening I was checking emails and found that the latest Kathy Reichs novel (Virals) is available on Kobo. A quick check confirmed it was also on Kindle so I almost put my knee out retrieving my e-book reader to download it wirelessly. Amazon makes it way too easy and it's certainly not a problem to rationalize that "it's only $9 for something that would be a $40 hardcover book" when you're pressing the BUY button. This is in no way a complaint, just a statement.

We were discussing Samaritan's Purse at scrapbooking last night as several of the scrappers are involved in packing boxes. Here is the link to the program:

http://www.samaritanspurse.ca/occ/PackaBox.aspx

The lady who hosts the scrapbooking has done a Samaritan's Purse mission to Nicaragua and she said "it's hard to pack a shoebox thinking of children from here and what they have, I remember the kids in Nicaragua would line up for a sticker - a sticker, imagine!!" Instead of throwing the shoebox in the recycling today I decided that would be on to-do list when I head out for my dental appointment tomorrow morning

Oh and before I forget, I'm adding the links for the photography teacher who is a great resource. She keeps a blog as well so even if you aren't local you can benefit: