Monday, November 29, 2010

The oxen whisperer

Well, to begin...the explanation for the title. On Saturday morning my work partner and I were dropped off at the intersection of the 100 series highway and as we started (me) and scraped ice (she) my car, we heard ox bells.There were two not quite fully grown oxen making their way down over the hill towards the main road. So we hopped in the car and sped across the intersection to head them off. I deeply regret that I did not have my camera as my friend leaped out of the vehicle and pointed the ice scraper at the larger of the two oxen (and obvious ringleader) while I headed them off by pulling in front of them with the car and honking the horn. The less determined of pair headed off into the cemetery graveyard but the other fellow stood his ground. My friend was trying to remember the terminology for stop, having more livestock experience than myself but....the two of them were out for a romp so I'm not sure it would've mattered. I found one of the local residents and said "are those Ray's oxen?" but he replied "no, I've called Dale" and there he came at a breathless trot with a rope and a bucket of feed. Both oxen were wandering behind the cemetery fence as we headed home to our beds. 


After a short nap we headed out to Yarmouth on my mission. I was very excited to actually claim my rain check for the kitchen center. I managed to pick up all four things which the shore captain had cut out from their flyer as well (and I think that was a first as well) not to mention that my friend won two $5 gift certificates from Coles books so a very productive stop. Off to do some gift research for the offspring then back to Staples and WalMart. Picked up all sorts of sales and goodies and out to the car by 6 p.m. to find that we were in the middle of a hail/snow storm which preempted a trip to Frenchy's and made for a slower trip home as we were in and out of the inclement weather.  

Made it just in time to get supper on the table as the menfolk were keeping long hours with the last minute preparations. Part of the preparations were putting on the buoy catcher (or cage) on the fishing boat which left on Sunday. A buoy catcher is needed during lobster season so that rope from the traps doesn't get tangled in the prop as they steam by. This necessitated crawling around on the slip wearing chest waders and apparently the shore captain took a tumble, flapping around for a while before righting himself. But the major problem of the exercise was finding the bolts and nuts to apply the cage with. Did the prodigal son know where they were? How about the Captain who takes the fishing boat? Nope. A search of vehicles and storage areas was futile. So, the shore captain takes a run to the hardware store to pick up some more. When the tide goes out, leaving the stern exposed and they prepare to put the cage on.....there are the bolts with the nuts threaded on according to the boy. 

At home the shore captain and prodigal son were having a 'discussion' and when I checked to see if there were any casualties the boy says "can you imagine, the hired man talking back to me like that!" which caused me to point out that his father wasn't even the hired man, he was the third man or 'nubbins' in local slang. When I asked his father how things were going he said "fine if I don't try to tell him anything" so I suggested that he should start doing just that! I am planning to apply for a position as UN peacekeeper when lobstering is over! The best part was the shore captain making comments that things were left until the last minute. And no, he wasn't struck by lightning but I did point out to Mr. Last Minute that he wasn't short on gall. The lad said "he thinks I can't do it" and I told him the problem is that his father is afraid that he can and is working himself out of a job as he has 'letting go' issues. 


I am sure there is a message for both of them in the quote of the day 
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Buddhist proverb


Sunday was spent in pursuit of education as I did a Red Cross Level 1 Disaster Course. Something to add to the resume for international missions and certainly interesting for doing community support for fires etc. Lots of good eats and friendly company.

Very pleased with the kitchen center as I've tried chocolate chip cookies and bran muffins with great success, the biscuits were too dense but I continue to experiment. Makes life a LOT easier with the cookie dough especially. 

Today was the first day of the lobster season as the fleet headed out to set traps.  After self medicating with gravol, pacing for a bit, jumping out of bed several times before 9 p.m. complaining that he was NOT going to be able to sleep...the shore captain slept like a log and he and the boy Capt. headed over by 5:30 a.m. to get ready for the big day. I called to see when they'd be in for the second load of traps and headed over at 10 to get some photos. Apparently the only problem of the morning had been miscounting of buoys so a couple of traps had to do a return trip but nothing major. It was cool, they were a bit later than anticipated and I stepped in salt bait with my better sneakers so they have to be washed but other than that not a problem.
leaving with the 2nd load of traps
FV Kylie Ann headed in for 2nd load
Captain, hired man and nubbins loading traps
When I got home and started my domestic chores of making brown bread and cookies for lobster lunches, harvest soup (yummy with pork, squash, apples, carrots and potatoes) and herb bread and doing some laundry. I checked the mailbox and finding a bill from Bell Mobility I called their toll free number because...I don't have a cell phone with a monthly bill. When I reached 'David' we discussed that I have a cell I add time to with a card and the turbostick was canceled in the spring. It turns out that the $60.25 I 'thought' I paid the house phone bill last month through my online banking was applied to my defunct account. David assured me that I would be refunded the money in......74 days! When I questioned that length of time he advised this was because my account was inactive. I said "nothing personal David but you must be really proud to say you work for Aliant Mobility when such a large corporation does crappy things like keep my money for two and a half months after a simple error!" So I await my refund cheque which will arrive in the winter, must actually pay my land line phone now and will most certainly remove the turbostick account from the list of online banking payees. 


The menfolk did not have a lot of awake time after arriving home, eating supper, showering and falling into bed. They'll be up at 2 a.m. to head out to haul traps as they are able to haul them one minute after midnight. Another long day tomorrow for them. Hopefully the nubbins holds up as the boy Captain is concerned that he has to take someone of such an age who gets so many cell phone calls. Hard to get good help I told him. 

If you're looking to check out what's happening in the world, here are some stats:
http://www.worldometers.info/ 

Should you be looking to start a cruise in Fort Lauderdale (sigh) or just travel there I offer the following article:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/travel/28lauderdale-hours.html 

And since it is getting that time of year for advent calendars and of course in this household 'the bear finding Christmas wall hanging' I include this link to some directions for a cute advent hanging:
 http://blog.makingmemories.com/2010/11/advent-calendar.html  

I'm off to town tomorrow for a massage appointment, grocery shop and a go at Frenchy's. Life is good.