Monday, December 6, 2010

Lobsters crawling up the side of the boat

Well, almost a week since an update so I must apply myself to catching up on life in the fast lane. Actually I applied myself all afternoon to working through my NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) workbook and doing the self-test. A bit of a slog as I hadn't covered the material since the mid 90s and necessary as the refresher is Wednesday morning. The fact that I've had the material for a month is irrelevant.

Didn't get a chance to do any studying on the four shifts I just completed as there was very little down time. On the first day shift my work partner and I just narrowly missed hitting a coyote as it barreled across the highway in front of us at 6:15 a.m. The only thing good about the LD was the lobster sandwiches I took for the ER nurses and Dr. And of course we can eat quickly and standing up so they didn't go to waste. The first ones of the season always taste the best.

Thursday was spent attending an all day union meeting, home to make supper and back for a night shift. I did leave a casserole on the counter from the back of the Stove Top dressing box which looked bad but tasted good. Needless to say I was a bit foggy when I made it home Friday morning (especially after having ordered and consumed a Bubba Sub from A-1 Pizza which didn't agree with me - getting too old to eat like that at 1 a.m)  finding.....the shore captain standing on the doorsteps. He apparently had been put ashore by the boy captain and since they hadn't communicated well, he 'assumed' that he had a way to the shore with the lad who left without telling him. When he asked me to drive him (I thought to the plant which would be a 45 min. round trip) I refused. It did turn out that he meant to the local lobster tank house which is only 5 minutes away as I found out when I got up at 4:30 p.m. and called to see if my car would be returned.The shore captain picked me up (after forgetting me just 2 minutes after he called to say he'd be by, turning around and tracing his tracks) and I retrieved the car and headed off to work.

Friday and Saturday nights were busy in large part due to a change in the medication system where cabinets in each patient room hold the meds. Or at least they're supposed to, that was the problem.I have given medications to 45 residents in long term care in an hour less than it took for me to medicate seven patients on the weekend. Making such changes on a weekend is a poor idea. Arrgh. The fact that my co-worker didn't make it in for the second night shift according to the note the boy captain left stating she had a "mygrain headack" proved that.

He was less than impressed with his day as well due to having caught about 60 feet of rope in his prop and having to come in early to have a diver remove it. The lobster season overall is going well. Landings are up, but not so great weather wise. Today (and likely tomorrow) are a write off as was last Thursday too. The main problem is having enough crates to keep going as the catches are so high which is a good problem to have. The boy can catch em though as he's landed as much the first day as the shore captain did starting out in a full year.  When local folks spend their money before they catch it the local expression is that 'the lobsters will have to crawl up the side of the boat this year' and they almost are. The price isn't exceptional but manageable and the quality will be better if they're not held. Lots of extra duties in the way of baking for lunches and late meals for moi but I've become accustomed to that over the years.

Sunday was the first time I haven't had something scheduled after a night shift so I slept until the afternoon, read the paper, made seafood chowder (of lobster, halibut cheeks and salmon) and biscuits, baked brown bread, walked the dog and my indignation over the med cabinets caused me to compose a two page epistle to our illustrious leader. Very productive day. 
Have been changing the bear daily on the wall hanging as he looks for Christmas under instruction of the three away from home daughters. Even emailed a photo to the teacher daughter to share with her grade primary/one class so they could understand the concept. Must get myself geared up to do some holiday stuff me thinks.

I have a weekly massages booked and this is weekly because it's paining me to leave benefits unused. Had such a busy summer that I didn't get them scheduled and now the calendar year is ending. That won't be happening in 2011 I can assure you.

Had an online chat with the former co-worker who headed up to Iqaluit and he shared that he'd received his first pay stub and was making $48.82 per hour, with 6% vacation pay and $519 northern allowance which means he cleared $2673.84. And to top that off he has a subsidized apartment which includes heat, lights, local phone - everything but internet - for $1100 and they neglected to deduct his rent. He had been out to Ottawa for a family visit as they celebrate the holidays early and his sister had given him air miles to travel on so he brought back 200 lb. of food. I told him he was a foodlegger.

Well, off to read the novel I downloaded to the Kobo last summer as this is the only time of the year the shore captain doesn't have his hands on it. I'm reading Water for Elephants and it's a great story, just have to find enough minutes in the day to finish it up. Hasta.