Monday, January 24, 2011

Happiness is

I was listening this week to a CBC program - Q with Gian Ghomeshi actually where he was interviewing Gretchen Rubin about 'The Happiness Project' and it sounded interesting:

http://www.happiness-project.com/
The author was previously lawyer and several years ago was doing some deep thinking on a city bus about what really made her happy. Kind of an interesting approach it seems. Happiness at this point would be my own bed on this cold night.

At 1:20 a.m. as I sit here drinking a cup of Earl Grey tea and eating a chocolate chip cookie which I brought with me I have just triaged two folks who have 1) rash and 2) vomiting x 2 hours. I cannot imagine that either of those two situations would prompt me to visit an Emergency Room and wake a physician but....

As I await the physician's requests I am busying myself with research on Everglades tours as this is something that has been on my bucket list since I used to watch the TV show in the 60s called .... Everglades what else? Here are a couple of possibilities which I shall have to run by the travel partner of course:
http://www.ecosafari.com/

http://www.evergladestours.com/
Neither of which interested the Doc on call who said "what if the airboat broke down and the alligators ate you?" I explained that the alligators are the ones eaten as the appetizer for lunch was gator nuggets and the souvenir is a gator tooth which doesn't sound very eco friendly to me but what do I know eh? I've eaten alligator before (tastes like chicken) at a hotel in Halifax which fancies itself a boutique/exotic place with buffalo steak appetizers etc. But I digress.

There is a water taxi in this 'venice of America' with all it's canals and 22 block waterfront walkway as well as a  and Las Olas Boulevard sure sounds like a place to find a bite to eat. One of the eateries which seems to have great reviews is Noodles Panini which has a very interesting history on its website:
http://noodlespaninirestaurant.com/
And then of course there are the beaches and...the snorkeling. Choices, choices.

So, after the search for a reasonably priced hotel - which seems doable - it's all just in the anticipation. The shore captain's aunt has cruised with Holland America before and she says the Dam ships are 5 star. Ahh. Had an email from a previous travel buddy who says they are leaving on a cruise shortly which will sail from Baltimore and stop for two days in the Bahamas. The wind chill is predicted to make the temperatures -13 today so March can't come soon enough.