Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Two count em two vacations

Ah the comfy chair and the remote
Finally time to catch up on the blog and I'm into my fourth day off so you know that I've been a busy little blogger if that's the case as I sure haven't extended myself doing housework! Neither has Gary as you can see here on the left he has really been enjoying the recliner rocker which the kids gave the shore captain for Christmas. It was a great idea of course for humans and the fur children although it's mostly Gary and occasionally Keely who take advantage of this piece of furniture. And of course there is no one getting in the way when the man of the house heads towards the man cave with snacks in hand.

Sunday morning was a nap and when I awoke from my slumber the shore captain appeared home and suggested that we needed to go to a little village about 90 minutes drive away to look at a boat. As you might imagine that wasn't exactly what I had on MY agenda. The drive (in his new 4 wheel drive truck) was pleasant, the wind was bitterly cold on the wharf and the vessel looked like many others I'd seen over the years, then we headed into the nearby town afterwards for some 'okay' Chinese food. 

By the time I got settled at the computer that evening to book the Bahamas vacation (of the previous post) which we had agreed would be wonderful......it was gone! And there were no flights for that date to either Nassau or Great Exuma. I was not a happy camper as I crossed that possibility off my trip list.

Monday morning I was up bright and early to head out on our girls road trip. First stop was to drop donated medical supplies with the owner of a building supplies store who is going to Haiti on a mission next month. A second stop at Zellers to take in the post holiday sales and my friend found a great comforter and got her watch battery replaced - I picked up a great collapsible bowl and a bra (always a depressing activity to bra shop) and was thankful that I didn't hurt myself trying on a tank top which was supposed to 'control' a la spanx. I did manage to extricate myself without calling for assistance but I could have been seriously hurt! Third shop was Staples and I purchased a webcam which I am pleased to report has been used this very evening to skype all three daughters one at a time. With our errands out of the way we got serious about the shopping.

Fabulous and Fifty it should read
Had great success at the first Guy's Frenchy's across from the airport in Yarmouth and loaded up the trunk. Scored well at the St. Bernard's store up the line and then finished off in Digby. I spent about $120 in total and would estimate that my haul was worth well over $700 as I picked up a snorkel bag, suitcase, bag for work that said Fabulous Fifties (and we are children of that decade) which I've included a photo of here to the right, jeans, capris, sweaters, blouses, t-shirts, pajamas, socks, tights, sets of sheets, napkins, mugs (you can find them for any occasion there as my friend noted) and two large plastic margarita glasses for the summer. And most importantly we had a LOT of laughs, releasing so many endorphins we are covered for quite a bit of stress now.

We enjoyed lunch at a little restaurant in Meteghan River called Around the Bend which I have persisted in calling On the Edge....but I guess in my world they're not far apart as I usually describe myself as "living with a man living on the edge" when it comes to the lobster industry. Although there was no evidence that Jimmy Buffett had visited - he should have! The lunch of homemade roll, scallops, baked potatoes, real (not frozen) carrots, homemade tartar sauce and coleslaw left no room for dessert. And that was truly unfortunate as there was butterscotch pie! We didn't even have any supper though, just a cup of tea before heading home with the chocolate covered almonds my friend bought to support a charity of course and we were still that full. My travel partner calls her husband and says "we're just leaving Digby now" and he says "you're still in Digby?" which is about a two hour drive and this was about 6 p.m. A good day was had by all.

As I dragged my treasures into the house I found the shore captain fighting about lobsters on the phone and the boy captain who had been out hauling traps all day just home and sick with a fever and cough. I settled them both and called my friend who had her mother's funeral that day. Sure wish I could've been closer to give her a hug. She had her boys all home though and that had helped with a tough day.

Tuesday was spent being a commercial laundry. You don't bring home bags of clothes like that to be washed unless you're a student saving them up! I used a half a box of Tide and most of the morning getting my wardrobe sorted away. Managed to walk the dog, make some brown bread and get myself ready for scrapbooking in between all that. I'm still working on my cruise album from the fall of 2008 so falling sadly behind in the crafting arena.

This morning first thing I had a call from the staffing clerk at work advising me that....I had gotten a second lot of vacation approved from March 21 - April 6 after all. Woohoo! I promptly booked the Panama cruise mentioned in the previous post (March 23 - April 2 on Holland America's Zuierdam) without looking back and now have the travel agent on the hunt for decent airfare to Fort Lauderdale. We may even  take a couple of extra days in Florida before we make our way back.

Today was a run to town to have the car checked - oxygen sensor needing replacement - we'll see if the check engine light comes on again or not. If not, well may just ignore it..... Had a massage appointment which always puts me back in the land of the living and stopped at the second hand bookshop where I found a great book on Paul Farmer who has volunteered in Haiti for many years. I can't remember if I've read this one or not but at $3.15 (after my store credit) I'll keep it. A lady from town was in the shop and she was telling me that she has begun a multicultural group at the library and that there are 53 nationalities represented in our county. I was astounded as we're a pretty WASP area. Home for a dog walk and to get soup and biscuits on for supper.

There had been a wonderful 'deal of the day' from the travel agent today and I reassessed my list of possible destinations when I looked at this one for such a great price :
http://www.bluebayresorts.com/en/hotel/bluebay-grand-esmeralda.html
which is near Playa del Carmen on the Mayan Riviera. The shore captain will love to see Tulum I think and the snorkeling is top notch. March 2 - 9 will be spend in all-inclusive relaxation and yes all those specialty restaurants which require reservations are all included. So two great travel deals in one day which after we counted our pennies we think we can swing. Good thing as we're booked.  Yeehaw!

Well, enough of the news as it's past my bedtime and travel dreams await.