Monday, May 23, 2011

Freedom 55

As I complete the last of my three 12 hour night shifts of this long weekend I am glad to have survived! Since this was the first weekend of the 'summer' season there were lots of beverage induced visits to the Emergency Department. My co-worker called it a 2-4 weekend. One of the hazards of working Emergency night weekend shifts. Mind you for at least seven of the hours of this very long night we are being paid holiday time.

Tomorrow is the shore captain's 55th birthday. So this means we'll be officially offered seniors discounts. He had shaved this p.m. before I was leaving for work so I asked if he had a meeting scheduled (usually it's a CFIA - food inspection agency inspection) for tomorrow? "No" he says "I was starting to feel scruffy even to myself". But I'm thinking it was the white face full of whiskers + birthday which brought that on. Not sure where the freedom 55 comes in though. This is the only day this week to forecast some possible sunshine. Sigh.

I have been recovering from the Emergency Nursing Course and focusing on getting in my clinical hours next week but I was disturbed by an email from one of the instructors notifying us that since they were in the nursing union (not us) which has voted to strike that our course may be affected. Apparently they will try to work ahead and get as many lessons online for us as possible, but clinical may need to have dates extended as we will not be crossing picket lines. I will be able to get my clinical in as I have chosen a hospital in 'our' union. There has been much discontent from our membership after cooperating with the province and taking raises of 1% and 1% for the two years - which doesn't keep up with the 3% inflation (we will renegotiate in October again) we have been hit with a $20/month parking fee with one of the reasons quoted as 'increase in salaries' This does not bode well for the next round of negotiations. Grrr.

In keeping with the travel theme of late - even if it's only dreaming I offer this link to two of my favorite activities...scrapbooking and travel:

http://www.kaisercraft.com.au/blog/travel-the-world-with-kaisercraft/

As well as a link to a self proclaimed adventurer:

http://www.adventuresofagoodman.com/photography/

And saving the best for last - work vs travel. That would be a no brainer to answer eh? :

http://inside-digital.blog.lonelyplanet.com/2011/01/12/travel-vs-career-does-it-have-to-be-all-or-nothing/?

As for travels or vacation the farthest we are likely to wander this summer is to New Brunswick. We received confirmation of our reservation at the University of Moncton residence for the weekend when U2 is playing at Magnetic Hill. Think we could make a profit offering up 1/2 our space to those who are accomodation challenged. The baby daughter will likely be the most pleased as we had been promising (or threatening) to come stay with her if nothing opened up.