Thursday, July 21, 2011

No unlived lives here

When I look at the date of the last post and realize that it's been over a week since I updated I thought 'that can't be correct, it must've been longer than that' but no that is life in the fast lane. Reminded me of a quote someone had posted on their Facebook wall:

"Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
 - Natalie Babbit (Tuck Everlasting)

To begin with  on my last set of days off I had to head back in to town after sleeping a few hours after my night shift (never a good idea - always good to stay home, not do anything too complicated like baking and keep yourself away from breakables - one of my coworkers told me the day before that she was staying up for the day with her grandson "like we used to do when we had to when our kids were small" and I replied "it wasn't a good idea then and still isn't") for a prescription fill. The reason was finding one of those nasty little black legged (Lyme disease carrying) ticks between my index and middle finger and several days later having an angry itchy infected spot there. So the physician on call decreed that I should start antibiotics. Ten days later it has completely disappeared. But I digress. I made the stop at the pharmacy, the post office for the eBay parcel and then Frenchy's for a quick shop so since the doors in the 'other' car don't lock I put my parcels and purse in the trunk. As I was at the cash register trying to locate the car keys I comment they must have been left in the car but  the Frenchy's clerk says "oh dear, maybe we'll have to look in every one of the bins". This certainly sounded like it had been done before. When I approached the car there were the keys still in the trunk. Nice to live rurally I thought. A trunk full of groceries and home to crash.

Also on the last set of days off, the shore captain headed in to the city to assist the new homeowners with a plumbing project and deliver a ladder so the split level entry could be painted as those are the only minor changes they are making. You can imagine that he was well and truly lost in the Dartmouth wilderness before he gave in and called for directions, likely driving a large 4 wheel drive truck with a ladder tied on the back wasn't helpful. But as I informed him "it's a lot easier to give the original directions than try to figure out where you are now" however after about 15 min. of coaching he arrived at his destination.
                                         
While the cats (who as you can see with these photos of Gary on the left as he fell asleep on his water dish after coming inside from small game hunting on his run and on the right napping in the veranda room) with Klyde in the center guarding the catnip I have since planted for him the only distractions here (other than the weather) I worked along in my course materials. I managed to score a 48% on my renal quiz which prompted the question "48% of what? 50?" when I shared my mark with others - so I should consider that a compliment I guess. The only learning from these computer generated quizzes is teaching you to write down all the questions/answers when the auto corrections are given so there is a 96% next time. It appears there was generalized angst within the class as the instructor offered up her own notes for review after checking our scores. Next week is our 'study break' which apparently means the instructor is going camping not that any of us are taking a break. 

The weekend of working days in the heat meant I almost melted! The in patient unit is over the boiler room, the multimillion dollar refit of a few years ago hasn't helped and we are forbidden from opening the windows. Good test of being able to work in the tropics not just vacation there. The night shifts were not only cooler but much more manageable. And on the day in between it wasn't sunny meaning I got my course work done and am track.

Had a quick email from the electrician daughter saying that she'd been sought out by a tradesman and was working after school and on weekends a few days so that is wonderful news to be getting experience even before graduating and of course a local reference if needed. She is finishing up her exam studying for the instrumentation course and will be glad to be out of the classroom and on her way. Not long now.

Determined to have bratwurst
The teacher daughter and son-in-law are visiting this week at his family cottage so we headed up to have them feed us supper last evening from the barbeque. Enjoyed grilled chicken, sausage, veggies and potato salad finished up with grilled peaches and ice cream - yum and left them the dishes to do. Beautiful evening on the lake as well. Not like the evening the shore captain decided rain or not to barbeque bratwurst for supper - I told him he looked like the little Morton salt girl and since the precipitation has been so infrequent it's not a grilling hazard on a regular basis, in fact the swordfish steaks and bacon wrapped scallops of two evenings ago were delicious. Ahh, summertime and the grilling is easy.

Last night I stopped at the post office and picked up the Blurb photobook I'd made and the quality was really good. The spelling and desktop publishing required a bit of polish but it was my first attempt and I managed to somewhat fix the typos so they don't bug me too badly. Kind of like reading blog postings if I've rushed and not proof read diligently. Memo to self: do not attempt such a project on the day your Groupon will expire so you have to rush. Mind you....it's a coffee table book and how closely do people look at such things? Made most of my mistakes in learning how to do the first one I've told myself. 

Well, enough procrastinating...off to hit the books as this afternoon there are appointments to have all the felines vaccinated - now there's an exercise in patience.