Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What I did on my summer days off

Do you remember those first essays you were instructed to write upon returning to school in September? They were invariably entitled "What I did on my Summer Vacation" and were a real pain for anyone who had a rather unproductive summer - nothing to write about as nothing happened or a rather productive summer - nothing to write about as all you did was work and sleep. I feel as if I'm writing about 'what I did on my mini summer vacation' as I'm winding down the final day tomorrow of five beautiful days off. So much better than just weekends off, especially if we have one of those summers where it rains every weekend of the eight or so we call summer here. There had been talk of heading to the city to visit / do plumbing with the teacher daughter but the shore captain is caught up in all things nautical this week, so that will have to be for another set of days off.

My last set of four shifts was modified as I attended my physio appointment in the morning (happy to report the facet is still in alignment, the pop in the night was it attempting to displace itself but not possible with the angry shortened ligament) so that was reassuring. The physio is away until July 18th so I'm hopeful it behaves itself. I stopped along the way at Canadian Tire and picked up the grinder (for him) and cast iron cooking pot (for me) which were on special. I also popped next door to Marks Work Wearhouse and invested in some 3/4 sleeve tops to wear under my posture support - if I'm going to have to suffer it might as well be in style and with something that is meant for working in. I made a stop at the Post Office as they are now moving the mail and retrieved one of my eBay purchases before heading in to gainful employment. The abbreviated shift was manageable and I headed out to pick up groceries afterwards so it did make for a long day. Not as long as the next one mind you. It's hard to conceive of how hectic a 12 hr day shift is before a long weekend with no Team Leader and only a new graduate nurse to assist you, but you get the idea. Canada Day here was a quiet one as I caught up on sleep, laundry and cooking before heading in. The first night was manageable but although I slept soundly in between the second one was by any measurement a doozy of emergencies - the kind a long weekend in summer would begat - leading me to post non-identifying case studies on the web-board for my course they were so spectacular.

A few hours nap on Sunday and then up to prep for being the hostess with the mostest as we entertained both our summer neighbours, and one of their grandson for a BBQ. The life partner outdid himself with his new toy, I mean BBQ, for the steaks and grilled asparagus and we had potato salad, warm herb bread and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Yum. Always good to have good friends, good conversation and good times.

Yesterday I had a call from the shore captain advising that if I brought the car out to the garage he uses for his truck repairs that they will repair and safety inspect my vehicle if I leave it and he will drive me home. That's an offer I can't refuse so I head out. Needing to stop to order a rechargeable camera battery at the hardware store he decides that we should investigate the garden center. This is something that a person who is struggling with 'back issues' wants to do as she hasn't weeded the plants she's got!! He falls in love with two tall plants which look like purple cattails and I pick up some zinnias and coleus for the front planters. It was VERY painful to supervise him being Farmer Clem and reminded me why there were weeds in the flowerbeds and nothing in the planters.

I am playing hookey from my studies today but I am working on this week's scheduled lesson and according to the pointed email all students received today I am in the distinct minority:

I know it is summer but please try to keep up with the lessons.  We do see the lesson status of everyone (!!) – so we do know what has been done.  There should now be Webboards for all lessons if you are asked to post something, or perhaps share some info or story or reflection with the class.  There is a break in the lessons from July 31- Aug 7th.  And there is study time for Exam 2 built into the program that runs from Aug 28 to Sept 7th. If you are struggling with anything please contact one of us – if there is a problem we can help  with program material and/or help problem solve.

 My scholastic procrastination although is not really intentional. I stayed up too late - went to bed at 1:40 a.m. after working on my photobook (more on that later) so wasn't very focused this morning. I read the paper, the boy captain was back and forth - bringing home lobster traps and stacking them, attempting to get fuel for the boat he is leasing, picking up the other captain and crew when their pickup broke down and they were headed out fishing at 5 p.m., needing lunch - you get the picture. I made sure I got my vitamin D requirement this afternoon, then walked the dog, I prepared and fry clams for the shore captain while he barbequed hamburgers, and baked jam cookies and herb bread for the FV Major Expense - which the boy captain says is aptly named. Busy but productive/nonproductive day off. Still have to make supper for the boy captain when he shows home (it's now 10:45 p.m.) as at last report he was "building a coiling bench" which apparently involved lumber, an old foam mattress piece for padding and oilclothes as a waterproof covering. Hmmm.

This description doesn't include the excitement which ensued when I had been allowing Klyde (as per the shore captain's example) amble in and out of the open front door of the house with the hallway french door closed, he periodically jumped up onto the bench or sprawled on the front step. At some point this afternoon I realized that he was looking at something on the floor of the front hallway and when I went to investigate realized that it was the carcass of a small dark mouse, thankfully beyond running away into the house. These cats!

As I mentioned previously I was working on a photobook. I had a Groupon to use which expired today (I am Mrs Procrastination and work better under tight deadlines) and so I made a Blurb photobook - here is the website link:

 http://ca.blurb.com/?ce=google_can_brand_blurb&gclid=CJyZ4paI7qkCFQEKKgod4nfVXQ

I certainly learned a LOT about making a photobook, it took much more time than I thought and the first one is rather basic but my father (printer) would have been impressed with the process. In order to redeem my coupon I had to make two phone calls for assistance which resulted in my discovering that 'when in doubt read the computer screen' really is true and that sometimes it's not best to leave projects until the last moment in case there is a glitch in the process. But no worries they were very helpful and I would certainly use Blurb again as well.

Time tomorrow to get a haircut, organize the new cleaning lady - the original one is going to orientate her for Friday when I'm not here, saving me from having to prepare a job description / task list, and perhaps.....work on my course tomorrow before I head back for another set of shifts.