Monday, June 27, 2011

Electrolytes and Irises

Well, having given up on fluid and electrolyte balance this evening - and can you blame me? I will spend a few moments updating. To begin where I left off I had a rather uncomfortable 36 hrs after the back injection but it settled and I was beginning to think I was completely cured. However I simply rolled over in bed during the night on the weekend, and the pop in my back woke me up and I've been grumbling and downing Tylenol ever since. We shall see what Wednesday's check up brings for news.

I did have a chance to visit with the summer neighbour in between the night shifts and we enjoyed strawberry muffins and got caught up on the news. I readied the boy captain to go fishing and so packed up bread, goulash and brownies. As I walked the dog the shore captain arrived home - again, apparently he had crawled onto the sofa at 5 a.m. for a couple of hours nap in the morning after traveling home from NB. Then as I attempted to get out the door for work that night the son arrived for supper and his 'stuff'. I described it to the Dr. on call as being similar to preparing a camping / fishing trip and going to work round the clock for a couple of days.

The second LN was busier than the first, although I felt more nimble, and we were very pleased to see the workplace in the rear view mirror. As we headed out of town in the drizzle, we were ambushed by a Kamikaze deer which jumped out of the ditch and almost directly on my co-workers SUV. We both saw it at the same time and she slammed on the brakes as it bolted for the other side of the highway. Wide awake now! As we approached a sharp curve in the road about 10 minutes later we were dismayed to see a white pickup truck imbedded a long distance into the swamp as it appeared to have not negotiated the corner. So, we parked the vehicle and headed down into the ditch to see if anyone was in the half ton needing assistance. As we slogged along the wheel ruts became deeper, the vegetation spongier and the water deeper. Squelch, squelch, squelch "oh look, nice pitcher plants". My co-worker lost her shoe and had to retrieve it while I trudged on in my Crocs. We approached the crew cab truck with tinted rear windows and discovered a booster seat which sent a chill down the spine. No signs of anyone in the truck so that was a relief and we turned to retrace our sloppy steps. As we looked up at the roadside there were several trucks stopped with men standing beside them - likely originally trying to find out if one of us was the truck driver and one the rescuer. "Anyone there, anyone hurt?" one of them called out so we reassured them "no" as we slurped our way back to the SUV. Must've made an interesting sight in our uniforms wet to the knees with swamp water and covered in leaves and brush. One of the men described seeing "a young fellow in a t-shirt walking down the road talking on a cell phone" who must've been the absent driver. We were quite hysterical by the time we drove the 2 minutes to my car and as I got out to transfer one of the men from the roadside appeared with the driver of the truck announcing "he fell asleep". Must've had cruise control on was our conclusion due to the straight and far distance the truck traveled.

Enjoying all Cape Negro Harbour has to offer
This has been our second, count em, second beautiful sunny day in a row. We hardly know how to act after the extremely wet spring we've just suffered through. Last evening we looked out at the harbour to see this sailboat heading in to shelter for the night - still early in the cruising season yet. They left when the breeze picked up a bit this morning. The summer neighbours, with the arrival of the second sister, are scrubbing and cleaning even more than usual required as the damp wasn't good in closed up houses. They were taking a well earned break in the screened veranda room when I walked the dog and called out to me with an invitation for a glass of wine. I think I showed remarkable restraint to politely decline and finish the section on on IVs.

As big as your head
Mind you due to the back and the books... I've been ignoring my flower beds and they seem the better for it. Or maybe those which are thriving as those who really enjoy wet springs.Neither the shore captain or myself remember this giant iris blooming before and it certainly wasn't something I planted last season so.....it must've just been getting good and settled and ready to be beautiful and just popped open yesterday. The quote of the day sure matched the subject:

There are always flowers for those who want to see them - Henri Matisse

The flowers last year this time were.....hydrangeas. It's almost impossible to think that the teacher daughter has celebrated her first wedding anniversary. She is wrapping up her first full year of teaching and applying for positions for the fall with fingers crossed. 

And speaking of daughters we were thrilled to hear that the first daughter has (no surprise) passed her second year electrician apprentice exam with flying colors. She is making her way through the instrumentation course and will write that exam the end of next month. Lots of choices in so many areas with those qualifications. 

Strawberries - cat's best friend
After a hard day at the office
Considering flowers, strawberries and all things summery I am including a photo of Gary with his latest interest. Yes, that is a strawberry you see him chasing across the kitchen there on the left. When I came home with the box of them he was rubbing his face on the box (making me think it smelled of field mouse perhaps) but no....it was the berries he was in love with. And this is a feline who doesn't eat people food. When given the berry he amused himself for hours and glared at the other two cats if they looked at it. He is 'special' for sure. Yesterday I noticed Gary on the back steps with something small and brown and rushed out to find a small field mouse twitching so I banished him inside and attempted to pick up the mouse to dispose of it when.......it revived and ran for cover.Imagine what a mouser he'd be if he wasn't on a run eh? The relaxing pose on top of the office chair box on the right reminds me that he IS the manager here.

Now if I had more time for crafting and less spent studying I would follow up on this article I found in Creative Woman (which I like to think I am):

http://bit.ly/mjuVho

Mind you, if I want to be creative, this recipe should fit the bill:

Cold Avocado Soup: Puree1½avocado/½shallot/peeldcuke/3c buttrmilk/s+p; chill. Top w pulse-blended ½avocado&shallot/tom/2T lime&yogurt&basil.

Spent some time this weekend researching Greek Island cruises - apparently smaller local cruises are a better way to go (according to a retired teacher who has done so) and the vacation exchange program we're enrolled in to see what deposits and exchanges we could dream of. What better way to spend days off? And since there is so much talk of vacations and trips I offer the following link to boomerang crusing:

http://bit.ly/kt6uJF

Itinerary for round the world cruise
Now just so you'll have an idea of what the boomerang itinerary looks like here is the visual in the form of a map. Oh to dream.  Mind you this tongue in cheek list may may you think twice about talking about your travel bug:

http://seattlestravels.com/40-signs-you%E2%80%99re-a-true-traveler/ 

I must go investigate as a stray cat sitting on the rock wall is causing some posturing (Stanley) and growling (Gary) in the veranda and anxious pacing in the dining room(Klyde).