Friday, June 17, 2011

Of backs and outings

A few stolen moments at quarter to three a.m. to fill you in on all the news that I print. The eight days since I last posted have been as usual full ones.

The quote of the day is...
"The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money." ~Unknown
Yesterday was the baby daughter's 22nd birthday and I have no idea where those twenty something years have gone - they are a blur. I had sent along a small birthday gift with her main squeeze so assume that she received it. Managed to have a nice catch up chat with the oldest daughter tonight as she is making her way through her course - got another certificate to add to the portfolio this week - on pipe fitting and bending. She always was the crafty one. Says she's getting her scrapbooking materials organized this weekend, oh that I could be so crafty instead of studious. The boy captain is readying to go fishing shortly and the gear which came with the leased vessel is atrocious (he uses some stronger language to describe) so is hoping to be on the water by next week. He has been applying himself very diligently to the process as he is being prodded by his crewmember who has twins. The theory being you need to have someone hired who needs to go more than you do - this sure is the case here. The teacher daughter and son-in-law are heading down for the weekend, the first since Christmas as they visit their respective families so hopefully they bring some of the nicer weather which they have been having in the city which has missed us. Sigh.
On a technology note here is a website for bitly which is a site that shortens, tracks and analyzes your links. Meaning you don’t have to look at two lines of url now:
I've used the link to shorten a couple of urls such as this one to the posture s'pport brace which I'm wearing now but more on that story below:
As I headed into my days off last week I caught up on my sleep quotient and then got myself disciplined enough to begin the next section of my course - arggh. Friday morning I spent giving the garage $650 for my car repair and a quick shop at Frenchy's where I scored some wonderful finds. Then I headed to physio for (again) myofascial release but I was less than impressed as I told the therapist that "I'm right back to where I was when I first came here" he replied that he couldn't remember what it was like when I first came in so I told him "it's my back and I can assure you that this isn't fixing it!". To add to the angst when I approached the desk the receptionist told me that my benefits had been completely used and so I needed to pay the diference of this visit of $27.41, that each visit now costs $67.41 and that there were no appointments until the 29th. My huff arrived and I left in it. As I got into the car a call from the life partner stating he was at home and we'd head out soon. I laid the law down with the "and I don't want to spend the afternoon with you with that cellphone stuck on the side of your head as that's not getting away" and headed out.
The shore captain had come home early (his suggestion) and offered to drive to Lunenburg for my physio appointment. He was trying to make it a little outing but I was not very good company as I'd gotten myself in a state wondering if my back was ever going to be okay, would I be able to work full time or do day shifts, what about all those plans I had for running away to work up north or on a cruise ship ??? It was a beautiful sunny (for once) afternoon and we took the scenic coastal route, including the LaHave Ferry which caused their father to reminisce about how the kids had really enjoyed the adventure of the 5 minute cable ferry across years ago.  This appointment was much more satisfactory than the morning one as the physio immediately said "your back is exactly as it was when you first came here" then proceeded to pop it back in place after having heat treatments, taped me up again, insisted that I needed to have my back injected by the rhuematologist (sugar and water she says as it's inflames the ligament and makes it shorten to hold the facet in) and advised that I needed to get the posture brace and wear it 24/7. So a stop at the local drugstore (which carries what she recommends) for the brace - they unfortunately did not take Air Miles as my local drugstore does, the home health employee wasn't there to do the fitting so the cashier trainee and I struggled with it and it was $75 - which thankfully my benefits will pay for. So after all that it was clear that we needed to have some supper. Large Marge's was not open and The Fish Cake had closed so we headed to Magnolias Grill which is a funky little place you'd expect to see Elvis eating in. Had a wonderful supper of caeser salad and fresh tomato / cheddar soup (me) and calamari and greek salad (him) which greatly cheered us up.
A quick stop at Bob and the Boys Farm Market:

http://bobandtheboys.com/
on the way where we managed to pick up new strawberries, veggies and have an ice cream for dessert before continuing home. So the outing was actually a success after all.

Saturday and Sunday were rather low key days as I adjusted to my 'truss' as I named it. Discovering that although it probably fits right it's not likely made to be comfortable and it's better to wear 3/4 sleeve shirts under it as they don't bunch up as much as t-shirts. I did manage to fit in making a strawberry/rhubarb pie and some meals. Saturday the shore captain took the afternoon to paint the 'floor' of the deck and I tried to catch some rays but the wind was so chilly that I resorted to positioning my chair in the crushed stone between the two vehicles as a wind break for a few minutes. I took Monday off as I really didn't feel able to handle both LDs and when I arranged to have the appointment days that I needed for June and August I just added that on. It did result in my getting a good ways in my course material. I worked Tuesday and it was a very reasonable shift but....was back to it on Wednesday morning with + + back pain. I put a call in to the physio asking if I needed to wear the uncomfortable brace if my back was out again anyway? The response was "if it makes your back worse - don't but if it's just the same as it was - wear it" so now I'm back to having my back out of line AND wearing the brace. Sigh.
So I am at a standstill and heading down for another tune up with the physio in the afternoon I am allowing myself to think of those escapist thoughts such as the running away to join the circus...oh I mean to work somewhere else. I offer the following quote:

"If you want something you never had, you gotta do something you never did."
A link to the cruise ship nursing with some blogs to peruse:
And if you're just into general travel the following collection:
Here's a project I'm working on my 100 Gratitudes exercise:
Had a message from one of the summer neighbours saying she'll be along the end of the month and her sister is in the province and making her way down any day now. Always good to see those summer folks. Well, off to wash faces and bottoms as it's that time of the morning. Hasta.