Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The past ten days

Have been having a pretty full life lately, full enough that I haven't found a few minutes to update the blog until now, so here goes..

The appointment with the Rhuematologist was fine - she told me that I have osteoarthritis and that is good because it will flare up and burn itself out and to take tylenol as I'm doing. The back was a locked facet and the physio put it back in place (instant wonderful relief) and taped me up like an athlete to help it stay it in place. She was amazed that I was able to work, let alone function at home - I told her it was because I'm old.

Took the daughter and son-in-law to supper a the Palladium Family Restaurant which is a nice family spot in their area. Just a disclaimer - it is partly owned by my oldest brother's stepson and his daughter (who is leaving this week to travel Europe) was waiting tables the night we visited. For those who may visit here is the link to some reviews:

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/palladium-family-restaurant-dartmouth

While the human house occupants were away I slept in and then headed out to run to Mic Mall and used my Groupon for Body Shop and really cleaned up, checked out Zellers and got wardrobe malfunction tape and a top. Stopped by Stokes got a great bag which will be good for a lunch. Headed over to the Frenchy's on Tacoma Drive and it is fantastic!!! Really scored big there. Off to Atlantic Fabrics just off Portland St. and got some netting for doing those crocheted scrubbies and black fabric for napkins (less showing of stains). Back to clean up the kitchen, make lobster sandwiches for the night crew then enjoy the sun on the deck with the kids. Had a quick supper, shower and dressed for work.

Did my final clinical shift a LN at the Dartmouth General ICU with great staff and of course a little less formal on nights. I slept for a few hours in the a.m. and then stopped back for an appt with the physio to recheck my back. She advised I not work Saturday but okayed Sunday. I spent Saturday catching up at home from being away and felt like a new person.

Sunday at work was very heavy and after I slept in Monday to prepare for my night shift....I was really struggling to stay upright! Slept well today and woke up without the crick in the back so not sure what's going on but I have another appointment with the physio on Friday to reassess. Since this is my five day off stretch I just may get myself sorted out. We have had  a couple of very pleasant days this week but with the sunshine have come the biting insects and we've seen a lot of 'bug bites' in ED lately.

Had a conversation with the shore captain at breakfast/supper tonight, when we were finally in the same place at the same time and he was saying he'd woken this morning to see a deer walk out on the flats on the point and swim across the harbour to the other shore. Apparently the local lobster fishermen often come across deer making their way two or fro islands in the area. Then he noticed ears behind the rock wall and saw a large deer with prong horns and two smaller ones tasting the green grass at the edge of the cobble before they wandered off. 

Instead of focusing on gainful employment tonight I have located a a great blog which helps a running away plan:

http://www.1yearsabbatical.com/how-to-finance-a-sabbatical/

And in the process of researching crafts (yes I am being remunerated for this time) here is a neat (at least for someone allowed to hang anything on their walls) craft project - sorry for the length of the url:

http://links.instaright.com/a947824b599193b3/?web=058421&dst=http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/home-improvement/create-book-shelves-00000000035586/index.html

Oh well, time to print off the readings for the course and get myself organized for this semester.