Saturday, January 7, 2012

Appreciate

When I arose from my slumber after my last night shift and attempted to gather my senses to get to my hair cut appointment I decided to use the luxury coffee maker the children got the shore captain for Christmas. Not to make coffee for myself as those close to me know that although I love the aroma of brewing coffee, I don't (can't) drink it. I perused the offerings of specialty teas the children had so thoughtfully included for me and chose sweet peach black tea. It smelled lovely as it made its way to the mug but I had not been fully awake so didn't notice the ICED tea on the cover. Not sure what method you use to make iced tea or coffee in the fancy machine but it sure wasn't just pressing brew. The result didn't look right in the cup and it left small brown bits on my lips and tongue. Another one of those hazards of post night shift operating equipment.

The following day was spent in union meetings on the phone from 9 a.m. to 4:15 pm. with only a short break for lunch. I used this break to head to the Dollar Store and purchase a bag of school supplies for a local chef who is heading to Belize for three months. When I expressed my envy at his trip, he reminded me of my two week vacation and all the wonderful meals I'd have while he was eating rice and beans, beans and rice, rice and beans.One of these days that will be me with the envious onlookers as I head out for three months. Sigh.

Speaking of trips to underdeveloped countries....a colleague and myself are attending a tropical health conference at McGill in May and we're really looking forward to it having taken it in about six years ago. I have already surrendered my annual education premium which was deposited in December for the registration - foregoing the most popular use for holiday shopping. The latest WestJet sale sent me scurrying online to see if a decent airfare could be had and with a $392 round trip Halifax to Montreal, taxes in price (minus a $100 travel credit) - it's booked.

The hair cut is one in a series of appointments to make me presentable for vacation. I also scanned the LL Bean catalogue and selected a skirt to pull over my swimsuit - for making my way to the buffet without changing. Feeling very brave about the selection I checked out the large lady swimsuits, I mean swimsuit dresses. Having difficulty deciding on the style I asked the boy captain his thoughts. He pointed to one in bright blue with deep v neck and crossed straps. "Do you think I can wear that?" I asked. He looked surprised and said "why not?" So, I thought to myself 'why not, indeed?' and ordered the swimsuit as well. Now, apparently the moral of this tale is to NOT take your fashion advice from a 24 year old male who was wearing a t-shirt which reads 'date me before I'm famous' and is used to looking at much younger, slimmer female physiques.When the order arrived I'm happy to report the skirt is a great fit and idea, the swimsuit was a miss as it squished my boobs out under my armpits and made my back stick out through the straps. Yuck! When I offered to show the fashion adviser how it fit he adopted a look of horror and declined. So now I'm stuck with paying the postage to the shipper and waiting for the refund through customs. My first negative encounter with LLBean so far.

The past few days have been spent polishing my presentations for the cruise and they are almost ready for a dress rehearsal with my self described "not very computer savvy" friend on Monday. I've not heard from my clinical placement and will likely require an extension as the days are numbered before our departure. I did take two shifts off in anticipation of such a last minute rush so at any rate will be able to use the time for packing.

Although it's been very mild lately, and not at all winter like - it's sure not tropical and a break away from the yell phone which has pretty much grown to the shore captain's ear is in order. Low lobster prices, angry fishermen, the boy captain needing to replace the engine in the boat and getting ready for vacation all at the same time. Glad I'm busy myself!

If you noticed the title of this post - appreciate - that's my word for 2012 - driven in part by the obituary for a class of 76 nursing school classmate which I found in Monday's newspaper. We are so lucky to have our health. Here are some instructions:

CHOOSING YOUR WORD
Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself
in 2012? It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a
thought, or a feeling, or an emotion. It can be singular or plural.
The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This
is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word -
this is YOUR word.

One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow
yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is
totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it
will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it
percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in
very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just
aren't ready for it yet.

Again, be open to the possibilities.

Which nicely corresponds with the quote of the day:

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day."
Edith Lovejoy Pierce

in days to come,we will reread- turn the pages, and call it History..


With those profound thoughts, I'm off to boot the dog off the couch and out into the mudroom and head to bed myself.