Friday, January 13, 2012

Decadent

Definition of decadence...packing for a southern Caribbean cruise yesterday while a major blizzard howled outside. Ahhh. Into the countdown now - only three more days. Can't count sleeps as that would be too complicated what with one night shift and half a sleep day thrown in there. And I certainly appreciated being able to take off two of my shifts this set of four - may just get ready in time to leave after all. Hard to believe that a few years ago, packing for vacation didn't involve charging the e-book reader. However, the usual pre-vacation flurry of activity, described by a friend as "everything breaks down, needs to be replaced or comes home just as you're trying to get away" is in usual form. As I have been leaping up out of bed to record items I've remembered for the 'to-do list' I have discovered I have a talent for writing in the dark as my handwriting is the same as in full light. Must come from all those night shifts and dim lighting.

I got up on snapping cold Wednesday to find (after a thorough premises search) the only cat in the house was Klyde. Apparently (it was later revealed) the shore captain had made quite a production of leaving the door open while he used the remote vehicle starter so Gary and his shadow Stanley absconded without his knowledge. Since we were out of catfood and treats (shore captain forgot to pick those up as well) there was nothing to tempt them with. I was concerned that I would find two carcasses on the road. I called them and checked the yard to no avail but when I approached the deck I found a rodent corpse so I knew I was on the right track - apparently they had felt the need to catch their own breakfast but unfortunately lacking street skills had sacrificed an inedible mole! When I approached the woods at the edge of the yard I heard rustling, frantic yowling and two hysterical cats burst through the brush. There is no honor amongst thieves (or felines it seems) as Gary lend the charge - legs do your duty - galloping towards me, panting with dilated pupils as if on street drugs and was quickly scooped up and deposited into the house. Stanley proved a bit trickier to capture as he was having a full blown anxiety attack which included frantic pacing back and forth in the frozen ditch just out of my reach, hyperventilating and yowling. I managed to snag him and deposit him inside as well. I had to sacrifice a can of tuna for their breakfast and promise them I would return with cat food. Too much excitement for early morning.

New year so new benefits which meant a massage appointment - ahhh. Too much computer work is bad for the back. Scored well at Frenchy's with lots of baby clothes for a friend of the western daughter (daughter will have to purchase the Ivory Snow to wash them in as part of the arrangement) which a grandmother shall take out for me. I picked up some southern wear for both of us old folks heading cruiseward and some neat gifts. Had a good visit with a neighbour who is also awaiting a first grandchild. Apparently teenaged babysitting of our brood did not discourage her daughter from starting a family of her own. Also chatted with a friend of a friend about cruising and the plans are in the works for a female cruise next year - now THAT would be fun. Groceries and home to walk the dog before starting supper. Full day. 
use for paper books now
Have you heard of de-constructed and re-imagined books? Thought that was what a book report was hmmm. It does seem to be a use for all those traditional books now that e-book readers are so popular. That is if you can bring yourself to destroy the tomes. Speaking of artists in the newspaper, I found an ad for Tommy Hunter - One Last Time tour. Made me think how much my mother would've have loved this as she thoroughly enjoyed Friday evenings spent with Tommy. When I showed the ad to the life partner he said "last time, I should think so, he must be 100 by now". And while on the topic of recording artists I heard on CBC radio that Joel Plaskett is releasing a song per week out of his new album - Scrappy Happiness - through CBC. You can find the first track called 'You're Mine' on the site here:

http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/joel_plaskett-youre_mine

Memories of all those good summer concerts. Ah. Still waiting for Jimmy Buffett to cooperate and put on a concert when I can make it. Shall have to content ourselves with the Bruins vs Panthers hockey game in Fort Lauderdale instead - won't be seeing native son Brad Marchand as he's out for five games suspension though.

Had a phone call from the baby daughter about one of her nursing courses in university. She had a question about the formula for calculation of gravity infusion of IV fluids. I couldn't believe this was being taught! I managed to drag from the depths of my memory that 25 drops/minute was 100 ml/hr. and advised that:
  1. we don't use the formula now as we use IV infusion pumps
  2. we never did use the formula even 35 yrs ago, we counted drops and 6 per 15 sec. was it
  3. we had a card with doses/drops = volume for calculation for other rates
  4. why would this be taught when there is so much info required that could be useful?
And to close, just a note (should you find yourself fortunate enough to live in Nova Scotia) to mark June 8 and 9th on your calendar as it will be clean sweep dates.