Monday, February 27, 2012

You can't fix stupid

This set of 'days off' have been well enjoyed. On Friday I made arrangements to have a computer 'built' and as much as I don't want to have to do it, I will spend hours getting programs loaded back on to it again. Sigh. Apparently the new one will be twice as fast with twice as much room (if the CyberGeek tech is to be believed).

Today I took out my (elderly) scanner and printer out so the tech could make them all work together. He made some initial mumurs about a 3 in 1 printer he could sell me but quickly gave up on that when I was firm that wasn't necessary. I noticed a camo clad figure leaving the computer shop out of the corner of my eye as I was listing off what I wanted installed on the new system and realized it was my brother-in-law. I called out a greeting to him and he returned to chat as he is one who thoroughly enjoys stirring the pot he said "how is the boy's new 4wheeler working out?" When I questioned the details as in "it was after the accident with the broken collarbone, it was a NEW one etc?" Apparently the lad had visited his uncle at his camp in the woods on Friday evening with a friend on a new Yamaha 4wheeler but they were 'taking it easy'. My brother-in-law had asked if his father was going to get a chance to have a run on the new machine as the boy has been known to cause some mechancial difficulties to his Dad's machine. That certainly explained why this morning when I asked Gary (yes we are a family who talks to their cats) when he sat in the master bedroom "oh you didn't go out this morning?" a human male voice answered me from the man cave across the hall saying "I gave it a try but I hurt my shoulder lifting the door to the lobster car and gave it up" Good thing I'm not in the habit of going clotheless about the house. After his uncle ratted him out I called the boy on my cell to ask what was going on - he protested that 1) he had hurt himself on a 3wheeler not a 4wheeler so this was much safer 2) he had been on it Friday evening but didn't do anything at all to shake himself up 3) his shoulder was directly work related nothing to do with his recreational dumbness. When I pointed out that I wasn't impressed with him getting a new machine, riding it when injured and that he had to take some self responsibility for causing his problems he protested loudly that I had the answers made up before he got a chance to say anything. Caused me to issue my 'nurse of 35 years experience, mother of an idiot, work as hard as you play and you'll do great, you can't fix stupid tirade and signed off.

In the course of my errand running today I left my rings to be sized (only about $25 each the jewelry store told me) an entire size larger due to the arthritis knuckles I've developed. Not much point of thinking they're going to shrink after two years. I picked up some groceries and memo to self: do not buy milk by the color of the label, but actually read it when purchasing as the Farmers whole milk is red label and the Cooks skim milk is as well. Seems like drinking cream if you're not used to it.

On Saturday my friend and I didn't make it as far as the city but instead enjoyed a scrapbooking day here. We had pots of tea, lobster sandwiches and gingerbread with brown sugar sauce for dessert. AND I managed to complete the travel album from the cruise we took in.....wait for it.....fall of 2008! So I was pumped. Gave me courage to tackle the next one for fall 2009. In the process of clearing up the scrapbooking and computer stuff I managed to purge a great deal of paper so that felt good.

On Sunday I attempted to call first one daughter (voice mail) then another (no answer) until finally I reached the third daughter only to be told "we're talking on Skype that's why we're busy" Kind of made me nervous to think of them plotting something. But the oldest cleared up the mystery tonight when I spoke to her saying they'd been arranging to play some games online together.  News from the Red Deer daughter was there were two babies born last week and both of the Moms were from this county. Mind you there are lots folks  from this province out there but to have two mothers from the same area transplanted from here to there is a bit of a coincidence.

Well, off to bed as 5 a.m. comes early and a bit of weather is predicted (of course) for my morning drive. I already have my 'in between day' planned for me as my online instructor update to new first aid/CPR guidelines is due March 1st. Need more hours in the day.