Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cats one, decoys zero

As you can see by the photo I'm including on the left, the cats have been doing altitude training. I'm pretty sure it's the 20 lb. Gary who has made his way to the top of the kitchen cabinets and tipped over one of the decoys. In the past one has been found behind the fridge. How he manages this with a standing leap I'm not sure.

So...the new computer installation / upgrade was relatively painless (as evidenced by the fact I'm typing this on the new system) except for the need to install a new audio card - this was discovered while I was in the midst of the online first aid recertification of course requiring a restart of the computer translated to starting over from the beginning. But the printer, scanner, speaker and all peripherals work fine and the tech even managed to salvage a few files from the toasted tower so all is well. Nice to have more speed also.

The three 12 hr night shifts went just fine and I know I could handle that rotation on a regular basis - if only. The reason for the one day shift followed by the three nights was a shift change on Wednesday as requested by the boss lady. Not a problem except that I received a phone call when trying to sleep in for nights from the boy Captain at 0645 when he was actually looking for his father to complain that (yet again) the new engine in the boat had boiled over. Because of the timing I was concerned that perhaps I was being switched back to days and answered the unknown name/unknown number call. I cautioned him to "be calm when you speak to your father because he's as frustrated as you are with this" and fell back to sleep. This gig as a UN negotiator is tough work. By 0830 I heard water running in the main bathroom and remembered it was the day the cleaning lady came - you know when I'm out of the house working - not. In the course of her visit we discovered that the NEW vacuum beater bars for the carpet setting didn't work. Now if you think it's frustrating to pay for a piece of expensive cleaning equipment when you don't even believe in cleaning, just imagine my angst when the thing didn't work. I called the toll free number on the instruction manual and (after a little call center humor with a southern accent as in "you broke it" with the reply "do you hear me laughing?") I was advised to return it to Canadian Tire. I gave up and walked the dog after that to remove myself from being dusted or scrubbed.

The afternoon slipped away with registration for the NENA (National Emergency Nurses Assoc) conference in May in the city. My manager urged me to ask for an education day for the Saturday as I was willing to pay the registration, meals, travel and accomodation as well as use my days off for the three day conference. The agenda looks top notch and I was going to take a vacation day anyway so feel I've won. I also was lost in the past as I searched for camp photos for my mother in law as there's an anniversary planned - think it's a 50th this year. I found some vintage pics from 1969-1972, some were even in color. Speaking of the past, I had a chat with a (retired - aren't they all?) classmate from nursing school as we are contemplating a Class of 76 get together. Made some sandwiches for a reception in the local hall as one of the neighbours was saying goodbye to her man friend of over 45 years.

We were hit with a sort of weather bomb in the form of the only major snowstorm we've had locally this year as I headed in for my first night shift. Made it in and back the second night by bumming rides with coworkers and having the shore captain ferry me to and fro the main highway as the secondary roads, and our driveway weren't cleared. Found enough snow to try out my snowshoes before work and it was good that I took the time as winter disappeared with the rain the next day.

We headed up to friends for a turkey supper on Saturday evening and when the life partner asked our hostess if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas (kind of forward for such a lovely meal) she said "early Easter". Great evening spent with good friends and conversation and we came home at midnight with leftovers. What is not to like?

On Sunday morning at 0645 I was awakened to a loud blast of Flo Rida singing Good Feeling. How is that you say? Well the shore captain (who is a huge fan of Flo Rida - you know the guy with the neon sneakers) has this as his ring tone on his ever present cell phone and the captain of his fishing boat had called to say he was heading out that day. Just turn your speakers up on your computer and close your eyes and relax to get the full effect of how this was as a wake up call:

Apparently Flo Rida is opening for Pit Bull at a concert next month in the city. Oh, too bad I'm scheduled to work the life partner will have to take his son in law or some other unsuspecting guest.

With such an early start to my day I was able to have laundry, brown bread, dishes done and start on making the photobooks I'd set as my 'days off goal' before 9 a.m. Since I am far from a morning person (lark) this night person (owl) doesn't wish a repeat performance. I did manage to create three different photo books over the past few days as I had Groupons which were expiring and couldn't let that happen. I was kind of pleased with my artistic efforts but although it's quicker than traditional scrapbooking, the digital format doesn't have the same feel to me as paper. It encouraged me to clean up my photos by downloading to the external hard drive, clearing the SD cards and organizing the folders.

Yesterday the shore captain suggested that we should go return the defective vacuum to the Canadian Tire which is about an hours drive. Now to anyone else this might sound like a chance to have supper, catch a movie or some other social activity in town. Oh no, not this guy. First, he doesn't call to arrange this (remember the cell phone he wears 24/7?) before he suddenly appears at 3 pm. in the house with one of his employees sitting in the truck. Why? Because he's completely out of gas and not sure they're going to make it to the garage so I should follow them out there. This ensures that I can't even send him on the exchange errand. He asks "do you want to go to eat or something?" and when I decline he says "oh good, then this is good enough to wear" and they're off. They do in fact make it without running out of fuel and his employee heads off in the truck. We make our trek to the store, return the vacuum and select another and then he starts browsing for tools like a kid in a candy store, which is the reason he was so quick to suggest 'we' do this errand. We finally head out to the car with our various purchases, stop for gas (I don't have anyone who follows me when I'm past E on the gauge) and pick up a few groceries - chicken, avocados, garlic bread and a bottle of rose, making our way home. As the electrician daughter said when she phoned "almost sounds romantic but I know who you're dealing with here". We had just sat down to eat when there was a noise at the front door and one of the local fishermen arrived - apparently the shore captain was to have picked up oil clothes for him at the plant and forgot. So...instead of going home he yaks at us while we eat - doesn't take me long to finish!

Today was a day to run errands as well as have the massage therapist get my shoulders working again as I'd sat at the computer too long being a photobook editor. Fit in a Frenchy's shop and found some things for myself and some gifts. Ecologically acceptable.

As this is the season to travel and with March Break next week, to travel with children I'm including a link to Nanny in the Clouds which is a way to find a Nanny on your flight:

http://www.nannyintheclouds.com/

As well as this for an analysis of why some trips are more fun than others:

http://bit.ly/y5rRhx

And speaking of fun trips, for those of you fortunate enough to be heading off to Cuba, some links to paladares (which are private restaurants) in Havana:

http://bit.ly/zi7FQ6

Off to see if the lemon loaf has cooled so I can put it in my lunch - never make it that I don't think of how much I enjoyed my mothers over the years. And since I've not had 30 seconds of regrets since switching over to clinical work over two years ago and look forward to going to work every shift here is a link for three job questions:

http://linkd.in/xQcGn4

There was a posting today by a local couple who are going to do some work in Dominican Republic at an orphange with their kids on vacation so I've offered to go through the medical stash I've accumulated as there is a leper facility in the area they are visiting. Will add some positive to my day tomorrow. Hasta.