Thursday, May 31, 2012

Post Montreal

Home again at 2 am this morning and had to tell the dog who I was. She did actually wake up in the mudroom but didn't get off the mat. Nice to know that she's such a watch dog, but at least she was pleased to see me. Gary decided that he would return to the side of the bed where he'd been sleeping and so I lost the feeling in my feet with his 21 lb carcass on me and took a while to settle in. Today I'm having one of those catch up days. Read all the newspapers from my absence, paid bills online, caught up on emails and phone calls, downloaded the conference handouts, walked the dog, organized the vacation plans for daughters # 1 and 3 as they will be visiting Horse Thief Lodge - how could you not enjoy a stay there eh?

The tropical medicine conference was great (as expected) and we found we're beginning to catch on to the language of it all. It was a great stay in Montreal despite protestors making it a bit uncertain to go out at night and a huge rainstorm which flooded the downtown and closed the shops. Not to mention a horrific story of a murder in the city and various body parts being mailed - good thing we didn't know that while we were there. I found a pair of spiffy sneakers at the Eaton Center and we had some good meals. My travel mate and I always enjoy ourselves and got caught up on our very busy lives with each other. There was a lab tech from Newfoundland who was a great sport as well as a local NP who in checking out Medicins Sans Frontieres and my buddy and I befriended a Doc from Chicago who was most interested in the fishing/hunting/redneck life we lead out east, so a good social experience.

I was disappointed to have to leave the last session early to catch my flight. What with all the construction and traffic it took over an hour to get to the airport and I came close to missing my plane. I gave the Lebanese cab driver a good tip and ran for it - dropped my suitcase at the express bag drop, rushed through security (unfortunately found myself behind a family of four - two kids under five) and off for the gate, being the last to board. The ridiculousness of having to fly first to Toronto and then back east was only a part of my frustration. But at least I didn't have to seat select the same seat for both flights as I did on the way up just to make sure that I could find my way in my sleep deprived state. A stop in Pearson which was just long enough to have a sandwich, check emails and move on. It was an extremely foggy drive home with a fair bit of traffic for after midnight.

Got caught up on the news with CBC radio as I made my way home and was reminded of a recent episode of Spark on that channel. There was a piece about point of view glasses which apparently you can film what you're seeing and download them online - only $300 a pair or so. A glimpse into the future (pun intended). There was also the mention of a social roboticist (now there's a job title for you) from Carnegie Mellon University who wants us to embrace robots, hmmm.

The men folk are back from the last day of landing lobster traps and are sun (fog) burnt as well as wiped out. There are generalized local parties celebrating the beginning of unemployment insurance and camping season but in this household it simply means an early bedtime and switching to another seafood species.

Back to work nights for the weekend so I have tomorrow to continue on with my R&R and the laundry as the weather forecast isn't as drizzly as today. And of course to pack as the shore captain and I are heading off for a business trip/shopping depending on which one of us you're describing.