Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Data Rich - Insight Poor

The title of this post was used in a newspaper article to describe modern society but it could certainly be used specifically in the field of healthcare. Daily examples which I'll refrain from sharing as it makes my blood pressure go up on my days off. I will however share the best call of one my recent shifts which goes like this:

Me: Emergency, RN, can I help you?
She: Yes, I'm wondering if you read blood tests right there?
          My husband has a pain in his appendix
Me: We do lab tests here but how does your husband know the pain is in his appendix?
She: Well, it's right where his appendix is and it hurts when he presses on it
Me: We don't have a surgeon so if he needs an operation we can't do that here
She: Okay, we'll go to the regional hospital then
Me: Well, that would be your choice ma'am

I turned to find my coworker (a previous OR nurse two decades ago when we did do surgeries) looking intently at me and I related the conversation. Obviously the self diagnosis option on Dr. Google was all they needed - really nothing to say after that, we sighed in unison.

Speaking of work, the teacher daughter is at the stage of yet again waiting to see if she has a job this fall and she graduated three years ago. She has been lucky as she teaches in French Immersion but with the budget cutbacks the situation remains uncertain. The English speaking teachers are even more precarious and it is so unfortunate that keen, bright young teachers wait years to obtain a permanent contract.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/95797-tough-lessons-for-aspiring-young-teachers

This week however the focus in her household is removing and residing their home. Her father is heading down to assist/supervise this process but it will be late tomorrow before he arrives as his worklife has (yet again) gotten in the way. In the meantime the removal of the original cladding will be started by the son-in-law. I will miss all the excitement as I have appointments and will be back to work on the weekend. Darn. 
Ahhhh, bedtime on my Cabelas bed

I'm including a photo of the fur daughter enjoying the gift we brought her back from the US. I had been feeling guilty about her 12 year old bones (she's 84 in dog years) on the concrete floor at night in the mudroom. She puts herself to bed about 9:30 pm as you can see.

And since I'm mentioning those a bit long in the tooth, I was thrilled to find this article about a senior backpacker. There is still hope for us. I had read a status a few weeks ago on FB by someone our age stating that they likely only had 15 years of traveling remaining. Now even with three really fun trips annually this total is not as high as I'd like with the bucket list I have.

http://www.iol.co.za/travel/travel-news/meet-the-world-s-oldest-backpacker-1.1294751

The more junior travelers in our family had returned from the resort week in BC which they'd enjoyed fully. However when it came time to leave they were met by a 90 minute drive out to the Trans Canada Hwy only to find that it was closed by a mudslide so had to retrace their route. Then a couple of hours drive south to find their way blocked by a snowstorm. Along the way the youngest discovered she'd left her cell phone at the resort. Someone named Rachel called us the next day to advise of that as well. Eventually they made it back to Alberta and seemed to be recovering well today.

As I was recovering myself from my night shift I had a restless nap this am due to multiple calls of telemarketers, reminders of appointments and a desperate plea from the luggage repair store asking that the suitcase left be picked up - this of course was 'forgotten' by the life partner his previous trip to the city. Upon arising from nights with only a partial sleep it is necessary to do only routine tasks such as housework etc. so I cleaned out some bureau drawers, put away laundry and cleared weeds in the flower beds. I looked up the driveway to see the boy captain diligently working on his mossing punt (boat) and the smell of fiberglas resin wafted towards me. The next time I glanced in that direction he had put this large flat boat on a trailer, tucked a smaller boat (tender) inside and was hauling the trailer with his 4wheeler. As his father pulled in the yard the lad passed him and headed down the highway about 1/4 km to access the shore. Such is our history with such events that we didn't speak of it, just shook our heads. Later when speaking to his sister, mister disclosed that when he had launched the boat and was leaving the shore with the trailer it disintegrated - nothing he did of course, not his fault. Sigh, can't wait for his father to discover that part of the saga.

And to close - a quote relating to writing and characters.......the right thing is almost never the most interesting....as outlined by this link:

http://yhoo.it/KAb8um

"Don't wait. The time will never be just right."   — Napoleon Hill: was an author and pioneer of the
personal development genre