Saturday, June 23, 2012

The MacBook Air has landed

After three calls to tech support I am now posting this entry on my MacBook Air.  I was a tad less than impressed that I couldn't discover the tech support hours of operation or which time zone they operate in - Apple can sure advertise about lots of other more minor info. I was also not pleased that I found an email which I couldn't edit in my username section "this had better be the default and not a previous owner "I threatened the tech, and I'm hoping this is so. At any rate they sent a link to reset the password and so I move forward. Some positives are that the tech does call you back almost immediately if you get disconnected and the second and third calls were to very competent guys, not the least bit condescending (somewhat unusual) and very helpful. I told the last one that I didn't want to have to ask my two Apple using daughters for help as I was a newbie with Macs and he completely understood.  If I will I be judged materialistic and as adding to the consumerism of the world, well so be it. 

So..... as I start this I should be doing housework - but does unloading the dishwasher while waiting for a software update to upload count? Here I am playing. I've managed to figure out how to upload my photos, sign in for FaceTime, bookmark my favourites and NO I don't want to take a pic of myself for my profile (bad hair day) and surfed around a bit. How can you not like a browser called Safari which even has a compass? I am actually getting used to navigating without a mouse. I find the MacBook Air has the features of a larger laptop but is no heavier/larger than my netbook but with lots more speed and storage. I feel equipped to run away from home now for an extended period. Ahh, that I should be thinking of a  month in Africa as my former work colleague mentioned at lunch.

A friend and myself headed out on a road trip this week finding that we (amazingly) had a day off together. We stopped on the way for the life partners reading glasses - he best NOT be sitting on those even if the benefits paid for them. I have just received my own two sets of glasses with a new (lesser) Rx but this apparently doesn't mean you're getting younger, rather that ones retinas are changing and now have to arrange for a Rx snorkel. We hit three top quality Frenchys in our day, visited with the aforementioned former work buddy and had lunch (homemade cream of mushroom soup, focaccia club sandwich and strawberry pie with a pot of tea) in a lovely tea shop looking out over a beautiful harbour, picked up some essentials (including supper and strawberries) and stumbled into the house after a great day. What is not to like? I scored a number of very top notch finds and I'm not sure if it's imagination or whether folks are getting more materialistic and disposable but the Frenchy finds are often new and great quality now. The prices have risen a bit so it's no longer a case of 'I'll take this and someone will use it' but still wonderful value. I got a (politically incorrect) Old Navy fur lined vest, duvet and cover, tops, pjs, socks, t-shirts and underwear for the menfolk, tumblers, and placemats.

Whaddyamean I don't fit in?
In our Frenchy's powershop I managed to pick up a sturdy basket for the kitty boys and you can tell it was well received. My travel partner was unsure it would be appreciated but who are we kidding? It's a basket! If only they were as cooperative with other aspects of their life. Stanley had an episode while we were traveling a week ago, of feline urinary problems so I spoke to the vet's office and although it resolved decided to purchase some low ash cat food. Now these two guys are anything but fussy however.....neither one of them (a first as we buy various brands) would touch the $26 bag of food. The only animal interested was the dog (who shouldn't be) knocking the food down and scarfing it down any chance she got, even after being punished. So there it sits in the cupboard. Sigh.

The teacher daughter has recently been up and down on a roller coaster as the cutbacks make their way in to the world of a recently graduated teacher. She worked a maternity leave her first year which although it provides wages, benefits and pensionable earnings, does not count for seniority.  This year which is ending was a term position which counts towards seniority but it takes (at least) a second year of a term position to be in line for a probationary contract. The touchy part is that the terms must be in sequence meaning that if a term wasn't obtained for next year the process would start all over. With all the cuts to education this year the position at 'her school' was filled by others so she was looking at settling for a mat leave.  Fortunately with a recommendation from her principal she was granted an interview and given a grade six classroom at a school about 20 minutes suburban drive from her house. The first year she'll not have a split classroom and double the work.  And she'll be able to teach any grade from P - 6 now as she's prepped for all those over the past few years.

I recently encountered a buddy of my oldest brother who recounted one of their (tamer/repeatable) escapades of about 50 years ago. Apparently they were driving Dad's small car (likely the Hillman) and made their way home without the use of headlights as there wasn't enough 'juice' to run the lights.  I have been told worse.

The boy wonder continues to rake irish moss this week and was pleased to have 3810 lbs in two tides. He was off to visit with the hairdresser student girlfriend for the evening saying she was going to make him supper (she can cook Kraft dinner - in response to my questioning of her culinary skills) after she was doing 'prom hair' all day. At home we have enjoyed lobster pizza as we worked to perfect the recipe from our travels. If not the same it was at least yummy. And I relented on the earlier 'no housework rule' and made strawberry shortcakes for supper, orange loaf (was supposed to be lemon loaf but in not reading the recipe I assumed it took lemon juice - oops lemon rind) and lobster sandwiches. Ahhh.

Tomorrow (today was a rain cancellation) I am anticipating an afternoon with Write Away in one of the member's gardens.  How do those five days off just slip away?