Friday, July 13, 2012

Off to la la land

First thing Monday morning (after working my extra shift) I headed out with my summer neighbours to the municipal pool for the adult swim. Saw lots of people I'd known for years - either from school, community or working with them. Got all caught up on the news and then came home to crash from 10 am to 2 pm. Then it was recovery from night shift day - you know the one where you only want to sleep for a while so you can get back to sleep that night but you shouldn't take on anything too complicated as you'll screw it up? Housework usually falls into the 'safe to attempt' list. The weather has been beautiful (to the alarm of the EMO and fire departments as it's getting really dry) and sunny every day. I've even had to water my plants and they usually hold up pretty well as they're set in mulch.  Needless to say the laundry is getting dried by the solar clothes dryer. 

I had errands to run in town on Tuesday and began with a dental appointment to have my tooth, well actually bridge checked as I thought the enamel had fallen off it. Turns out it was the porcelain side of the bridge. Or so the new dentist (who happens to be the age of my children) advised me. So that was fine, and a quick stop. Gave me time to head to the garden centre to hit the sale on annuals / perennials and discover my new favourite flavour of ice cream is.....key lime pie frozen yogurt. Yum. Had my massage appointment and headed back to pick up my plants - the clerk was afraid they'd wilt in the heat of the car while waiting. I had found a big pot of black eyed susans which I'd been wanting to plant at the end of the driveway for some time. When we used to visit Grammie in River Phillip there were always a big bunch in bloom at the end of her driveway near the mailbox. I had the boy captain dig me a hole for the flowers in the gravel near the newspaper tube, making sure he understood that it was necessary to dig a large hole so I could fill in around it with potting soil. Apparently he understood all too well as he dug a hole that required three bags of potting soil to fill it. Only problem being that I'd bought only one bag so had to return to the store after my day shift to source more mud for the three bag hole.  Looked really nice when I finally got them settled and gave me a real flashback to summers of the 60s.

The teacher daughter and husband are in Vermont as I type this for a little vacay. They are planning to take in a 'fun run' which is a 5k race. Apparently you run 2.5 km then eat a pint of Ben & Gerrys ice cream and then run 2.5 km back. Hardly my description of 'fun' more likely barfing as the nurse daughter said. 

I am beginning to feel a bit more comfortable with the MacBook Air and have conquered Skype now. Managed to have quite a nice chat with the electrician daughter (and boyfriend) last night. Even learned how to send files while chatting. I've discovered music downloading and the great site Rdio where you can download lots of great albums and....I have :

rdio.ca

However, I haven't conquered how to transfer my music to the iPod shuffle I purchased. Now, it's either the shuffle or the charger cord and considering I bought the shuffle for cheap and the cord for even cheaper on eBay well....you do get what you pay for. That and a bunch of music loaded on to it that is definitely not to my taste - lots of yelling! The switchboard operator (who is much more tech savvy than moi) made a valiant attempt at taming the beast but it was not to be. The computer even recognized her iPhone though so it has to be the mp3 player. Not to worry, today was payday, I shall simply do what I should've in the first place and that was buy a new one. Especially as I have only four days before the 'free' subscription runs out on my rdio account.  But the shopping will have to wait until Monday when I'm not being an owl and sleeping during the day.

And speaking of sleeping, it will soon be time to do just that. These fine mornings are the ones where you need to rush straight home and get to bed before it gets so nice you don't want to. Later.