Friday, July 27, 2012

Serena Ryder and Sarah Harmer Weekend

As I wait for the life partner to arrive home from work - to attend a Serena Ryder concert only 40 minutes from our house, life is good - I shall update you. We have been having extremely dry weather this summer so it is ungrateful to wish the rain of the past two days away but an outdoor concert does take precedent! The forecast is for clearing and then sun and cloud for Sarah Harmer tomorrow. So, it's a  Harmony Bazaar weekend. 

There was some confusion yesterday as to whether a meeting would be scheduled and when nothing had materialized by 8 am I called the boss and stated "I'm going to the beach with a friend, it'll have to be tomorrow" and made a hasty exit. Apparently my exit was so hasty that I moved the payment for the cleaning lady after saying "it's here on the counter" from the kitchen and somehow took it to the bureau in the bedroom. After calling to notify me that it wasn't there she assured me that my credit is good and she knows where I live. Whew.  Our beach jaunt resulted in a dash for Subway for lunch (FYI - the flatbreads are absolutely delicious) as the rain drops started. We had a good visit and got caught up on all kinds of news in our time before she had to head out for evening shift. I had originally planned to stop for groceries after the beach but....there is a sidewalk project ongoing and the traffic lineups were for 15 - 20 minutes so I procrastinated.

The power was off during the night and the battery backup in the alarm clock didn't kick in (second time this week as I slept until 5:20 pm after my last night shift so found myself WIDE awake at 1 am but I digress) so I overslept for the meeting at work this a.m. Then I headed out to run some errands in town and only managed to accomplish getting gas, a phone card for my cell, wood glue - which I was sure I didn't have - and placed next to the container Wellbond after I'd used it - arrrgh, and getting kicked out of Frenchy's as the power was off and expected to be so for a couple of hours. This of course resulted in my not being able to get groceries at Sobey's either - the excuse of the day. 

The 10K Fog Run
Pretty busy schedule lately what with work and play. The teacher daughter and her husband came for a quick visit on the weekend as she ran in her first 10K race and was thrilled to come third in her class with a time of 57 minutes.  Think she could've done it a bit faster but it was hard to tell where the finish line was in the fog - should've been called the 10K Fog Run.  The son-in-law and myself were her uber fans and I was the official photographer of her having fun so it was a good morning. They regaled us with stories of the Brain Freeze 5K which they'd run on vacation in Vermont, describing 32 c temperature and 2.5K up hills in Burlington and then eating a pint of Ben & Gerrys Americone (as per Steven Colbert) and then 2.5K return and "nobody barfed" which is amazing. After we entertained with a BBQ and I finished up the domestic chores it was time for me to head out to work a LN and it sure was a loooonnnnggg one.

My day had started out yesterday with a canine ambush as the fur daughter and I began our daily constitutional. Our summer neighbour has company visiting and apparently as one of the guests was packing the car there were two escapees. The first thing Keely and I were aware of as we passed the end of the long driveway was lots of barking and a rush of fur and Keely found herself upside down and being jumped on by a dog about half her size. Yelling "go home" isn't helpful when it's not your home apparently. Keely recovered herself somewhat and there was a lot of snapping of teeth, growling and wrestling as I futilely attempted to remove her from the WWF match. Shortly thereafter a second dog arrived (it appears mostly to check out what was going on as he seemed very non confrontational) trailing a leash as well and mostly acting like a UN observer in the skirmish. Within a few moments a very flustered and winded dog owner appeared apologizing profusely, removing the dogs and apparently departing quickly. I assured him that I had received my cardio workout and all was well but....the fur daughter carefully checked out the driveway on our return trip.  It does cause me to giggle now when I review the video clip in my mind. 

Chatting online with the teacher daughter last evening and she announces that she and a friend went picking high bush blueberries and she harvested 8.4 pounds. Now that's a lot of blueberry muffins or pie to process. Speaking of pie.....four pieces of cherry pie make a meal if you're a 24 year old male or so it seems and this does not amuse your 56 year old father. Just sayin.