Sunday, August 19, 2012

Do not poke the bear

Another Sunday off - what's up with that anyway?  Well, it comes with working your way through the schedule and thus through those weekends. And I will actually have only three shifts to work Wed, Thurs and Friday as we're off to the Bruce Springsteen concert on the weekend.

I am not feeling even a teeny bit guilty about being on days off as the week was a very long one. Did a 12 hr day shift on Monday and those are always hectic to begin with, plus I was trying to help a 'new' older staff member who had worked with us 18 years ago.  Add in some juggling of new uniform try ons - it was really hot and sticky and I thought I'd have to call for a surgical consult to get out of a couple of them which were just too tight across the shoulders, not to mention the clerk couldn't add and called me back to add on to my bill as of course I'd shopped over the voucher amount and had to cover that myself, but I did get a nice pair of black Alegria shoes which are great. Then in addition to all the other confusion I had a union teleconference meeting on the phone for over an hour. I did the Neonatal Resuscitation Course on Tuesday and home to wait for overnight guests. Wednesday I dealt with plumbing issues as our houseguest attempted to help me solve the flood in the mud room. We googled the condensation/leak problem and he decided it was likely the check valve in the water tank. They headed off to visit and I did a LN on Wednesday. On Thursday afternoon when I got up the shore captain said "the plumber's been here and changed the tank" to which I replied "how do you know that?" The answer was "here's the bill and there's a new water tank in place." He sure worked quietly but he likely thought he had to as the note in black magic marker capitals on blue paper posted on sleep days on both doors warns QUIET PLEASE! SLEEPING UNTIL 4 PM. Mind you, his wife is a nurse as well so he's surely been educated about not poking bears like shift workers. Thursday LN was busy but it was just a rehearsal for Friday which was a circus! I finally sat down at 5 a.m. for a cup of tea after having seen every RCMP officer in the county working that night as well as EHS crews from several areas. Oh the drama!

This has been a weekend for weddings with two of my younger nurse coworkers getting married as well as the daughter of the western friends, which is the reason they traveled back for the vacation. The rain held off for a bit and all the Facebook photos of all were beautiful.

Had a nice surprise yesterday when the only son dropped in to introduce the hairdresser student girlfriend he's been seeing since the spring. They were heading out for a rally and although she's petite and feminine, she was apparently driving one of the rally vehicles. I'm thinking she considers mister a fixer upper project as she was attempting to organize him with his wardrobe and hygiene products - she even had a list. Oh to be so young and naive again. Was surprised to find she had a rather mainstream haircut with only a red streak, not much experimenting going on there as is often the case with such students. She was really pleased to be finishing her studies shortly and on to making some money as she's got a spot set up in her mother's spa and we both agreed that working fast food as she had done during high school was good for making you want to get an education and NOT work fast food all your life. Told her that the lad's sisters had discovered that very fact themselves.

Have had a few brief chats with the electrician daughter and all is going well in the new job. In fact, she hasn't had a day off since starting last Saturday. Busy, but learning lots, being treated okay and making good money - what's not to like about that eh? Looking forward to a few days off after the 26th. Making the move to new digs so that will take some of the time but sounds like a nice quiet area and a townhouse so moving on up.

We were out for the evening last night to visit with friends as a local couple they know was heading back Stateside. It seemed like they hadn't been here long and in fact hadn't as they'd returned once to New York, stopped in Boston to visit her mother then off to Scotland to visit his family and a four day excursion to Iceland. Ahhh. The shore captain was quite the party animal and as the sober driver I finally put my foot down after midnight and took him home. Needless to say he's back to his 8:30 pm bedtime tonight. Got to get rested up for supper tomorrow with our prairie friends and some locals. I have the desserts done already and just have to hide them from late night boy captain raids. Time to sign off as the 22 lb. cat has just taken over my chair when I got up for a cup of tea.